Deleting a file in use

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hello,

I have a machine that is running on Windows XP Pro. I would like to delete a file and replace it with a new version manually, but unfortunately this file is in use by a program or something that I am not sure what. I tried starting under safe mode but still I can't delete it, if it was Win98 I can boot up with a startup disk and delete it from dos but since this was formatted under NTFS system, it is virtually impossible .. any idea how can I delete the file please? : )

Many thanks ..

It could be a virus, or an inefected file, though if you know you dont have a virus and you created it yourself, you can try and delete it thru the command prompt, or do what enyo said. Id go with Enyo's idea though, sounds better. =P

be nice to know what the file is...maybe then can we determine how to help him

I had to do something similar once. I killed "explorer.exe" from Task Manager (all your icons and start menu will go away), then ran "explorer.exe" from task manager to get back my icons n stuff, then deleted the file. Seems that the original explorer "locked" the file, but when I killed and restarted it, that frees the file from being used.

I wasn't trying to replace a file though, but the idea is somewhat the same. Anyway, that worked for me

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back