Delete undeletable files

E

EftheM

Dunno if it is working for everybody.. but it is for me... read:

I sometimes have problems deleting files. I am using Windows XP Pro.

Windows XP sometimes says that files can't be deleted due to active use of the file. Even though you are not using the file. Rebooting won't change that situation.

I had a movie file on my second disk (d:\) that I couldn't delete. This is what I did..

start>> run
enter cmd
goto d:\

type: chkdsk /f

I was noticed that access to this station is locked, you can unlock all processes to the disk by entering Y...

DID IT. Scandisk will scan the disk.. doesn't matter.. I returned to the folder where the file was located.. and a simple shift+del made it go away real quick...

haven't checked if this method will work on a c:\ but this is already a progress :)

good luck :lol:

will try to remember this one...anyone who tries this, let us know if this works for you too

I found an easier way. Create a new text document on desktop. Rename this the same as undeletable file with the correct file extension. Cut and paste into the folder with the file. Let it replace the file. Now you can delete it!;)

ya...that works for me all the time, and for some some of the time, but for most, none of the time

didnt work for me

even in safe mode with command prompt...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back