Delete --- No Go

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Inserted a CD, copied a folder to the desktop & then I could not move it into another folder. (It refused to move) I then copied the folder from the CD directly to where I wanted it. Now when I try to delete either folder (not the one on the CD) I get this message: 'Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.'

I have tried this. Opened a command prompt, found the offending folder, opened task manager, closed explorer, then deleted the folder using DEL command.

This emptied the folder but did not delete it. It is still there but empty. How can I get rid of it? :confused:

insert the cd where u got the folder from then delete the thing u dont want :) then remove the disc

:( Tried that. Rotton thing still refuses to go away. Must try again & see what happens. Maybe I had the wrong face on. :rolleyes:

No go it's been rebooted about six times. Good thing it's just an annoying folder & nothing else.

are you sure you copied it and not just made a shortcut to the CD folder?
also make sure its not read only and have correct security settings

Reboot
Enter Safe Mode (F8)
Use any safe mode option (even with command prompt)
Then proceed to delete the folder

If you decide to use safe mode with cmd prompt, simply navigate to c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\desktop\ and delete what you do not want.

Good luck.

This is one stubborn folder. Nothing works. I've tried all the above. I can empty the folder but not delete it. I can even make a new folder with the same name at the same location. Very wierd. Oh well at least it's empty. Thanks all.

Yep & it's not. If I try to change any of the properties they just reset to their default after closing it.

I have that same problem only mines with some virus scanning software that i have no idea where it came from and the folder will not go away. but since its empty im not to worried about it

you know :D Xp equivalant of scandisk. Go to the drives properties, tools, then error checking. It justs sounds like a corrupt entry.

If your drive is Fat32 you could do it from a 98 boot disk. Just run scandisk.

1. try a system restore to the point before you added the folder.

2. if that doesnt work, try making a boot disk and boot up your computer using it. then navagate to the folder and delete.

-----------
To create an MS-DOS startup disk
The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.
Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
Click Start.
Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.
Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.

- straight from Start>Help
--------------
shut down your computer, put the disk in drive A, then boot up. once you boot up in MS DOS, try and delete the file then.

if that doesnt work, you could always reformat.... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back