delete avi file

S

Supplicium

i downloaded this movie and it wont let me delete it..... it says "cannot move... another prog or person is using it" help

Originally posted by Supplicium
i downloaded this movie and it wont let me delete it..... it says "cannot move... another prog or person is using it" help

This is a lovely XP issue. I never had this in Win 9x and I skipped over ME and 2000.

This happens to me sometimes and it's a matter of finding out what is accessing the file. Did you view it with Media Player or similar before trying to delete it? Did you close the program? Did you try closing Windows Explorer and reopening it and then deleting? Basically, when this happens I run through all the programs that would have a reason to access the file and shut them down and then I delete the file. Normally, is this case with a media file, your media player is what is keeping you from deleting the file, in my experience.

do a board search this topic has been posted 20 times along with the solution!!

Unable to Delete AVI Fix

Unable to Delete AVI Fix.

Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
Delete the value you find there.

This is due to XP (explorer in particular) trying to create a preview
for it. Now because the file is corrupted or incomplete,
it cannot read it properly, hence, it will not release the file.
This prevents explorer from doing this.

As usual, backup the registry key before deleting it.

Give this a go.
Just open NOTEPAD and then click on "OPEN". Navigate to the file in the little Notepad "explorer" window and right click on the .avi file and delete it. Supposedly that's will do it. by allan
It works.

deleting HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAs
sociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

did the trick thx guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back