Delayed Write Failed Error

n33vrz

OSNN Newbie
I noticed this recently when I tried to open a large rar file the yellow triangle with an exclamtion mark appeared in my system tray and informed me that I have a "Delayed Write Failed" error.
The file was still decompressing and a gui box appeared with the same message - you know the type a grey box with an OK button - Micro$oft should have the word "whatever" there instead. So I pressed OK and pretty soon more appeared till the whole system slowed down to the point where all you can do is to disconnect the power :mad:
All this is on my home built box with XP pro sp1 loaded onto my Diamond Max 80gb. The mobo is Asus A7V333 with amd XP1800 processor and 1 gb of DDR ram.
I have checked the M$ kb but as usual they don't have anything that could be bang on, on google there are hundreds of similar occurences and it is just confusing me more.

Hopefully someone may know what I'm banging on about that can help?

The only time i've had that was when I had a poor connection to my external harddrive.

If you get a delayed write failed on the local hdd, it's really bad. It means Windows is trying to write the data to the hdd and fails. Sounds alot like a disk about to die... :(

1st off, open the run command and type chkdsk /r

it will give you the option to scan on reboot, do this and reboot.

after that, go to the maxtor.com website and get powermax, thats' maxtors test utility, you will need a floppy or the cd iso version as it's a command line app with it's own bootup to allow deep testing. run the tests and see if it comes back with any faults, if it does and it is under warranty i advise the advanced RMA, (they send you a new drive b4 you return the old to allow you to transfer data from the failing drive, they take credit card details and give you 30 days to return the bad drive, or bill you for the replacement.)

hope that help's

GoNz0 said:
1st off, open the run command and type chkdsk /r

it will give you the option to scan on reboot, do this and reboot.

after that, go to the maxtor.com website and get powermax, thats' maxtors test utility, you will need a floppy or the cd iso version as it's a command line app with it's own bootup to allow deep testing. run the tests and see if it comes back with any faults, if it does and it is under warranty i advise the advanced RMA, (they send you a new drive b4 you return the old to allow you to transfer data from the failing drive, they take credit card details and give you 30 days to return the bad drive, or bill you for the replacement.)

hope that help's

The checks on the HDD proved reassuring if nothing else - it seems its in good health and will live for a while longer. After diabling GoBack and cleaning out the cache and rebooting, the error hasn't reappeared - touch wood :D
Thing is, its still a mystery why this was happening :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back