delay when applying wallpaper

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
When I apply a new wallpaper on my desktop, it always takes a good 15-20 seconds for the wallpaper to appear and for the Display Properties window to go away. This has always been the case, and I just now thought I'd ask about it. Anyone know why there is such a delay?

Strange.
What are your sys specs.. and what screen resolution are you running at?

also I'm guessing that its a jpeg or gif image that you are trying to put on the desktop, does the same delay occur when you use a bitmap image? (there's plenty in C:\Windows\ to try with :) )

I've got an 800MHZ PIII with 384MB of RAM, running at a resolution of 1024x786. I am using jpeg images, mostly from sites such as DeviantArt and Digital Blasphemy. Strangely enough, when I apply bitmap images, they show up immediately with no delays. I suppose I could convert my wallpapers to bitmaps, but that would take up much more space.

I think the delay is normal if you set a JPG as your wallpaper.
If you wanna have some real fun set an animated gif as your wallpaper and tile it.:p

Originally posted by rettahc
If you wanna have some real fun set an animated gif as your wallpaper and tile it.:p

last time i take advice from you! lol. :blink:

Alright, I hope that's something they work on in Longhorn then! Like I said, I've been living with it for quite a while, I was just curious and looking for some info in case there was something I could do.

What didnt you have fun doing that?:D

Try setting a GIF as your wallpaper on stretch! :D
Feel the laG! (Well for slow computers, anyway...)

If you are using XP, that is not normal. BMP or JPG they should both behave the same.

If you use a jpg image, XP converts it to a bitmap first. This may explain the lag in applying the wallpaper. The converted bmp image is stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp

Originally posted by yoyo
If you use a jpg image, XP converts it to a bitmap first. This may explain the lag in applying the wallpaper. The converted bmp image is stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp

Good point, I knew that the current wallpaper was stored there, I just never put two and two together to realize that the image had to be converted. I suppose if I get myself a fat hard drive someday then I'll just convert my wallpapers to bitmap, because the delay sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back