Defragmentation of Hard Disk

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
I have a P3 system with a 40GB hard disk drive which I made 2 partitions from it and installed with Win XP Pro. Considering that I have not defrag my hard disk since the time of installation couple of month back, I decided to clean up my hard disk, check for all updates and load a new virus definition files to optimize everything. Then I restarted the PC and went into safe mode to do my defragmentation of hard disk. However I am quite suprised because after defragmentation is completed, when I analyze the same partition somehow I am told to defrag the partition again despite having done that twice already??

Any idea please? I am using the default built-in defragmenting software by Win XP.

Thank you. :blink:

hmm i dont like defragging always seems to cause problems... u could try something like Partition Magic 8 to scan ur partitions to see if there is a problem that it can fix.

What about doing it with norton speed disk? did u try that?

Thanks but I don't have neither Partition Magic nor Norton Speed Disk. Is there any freeware hard disk defragmenting software around? Use to remember there is ..

YEH CHKDSK /F IN THE RUN BOX

AND GET PERFECT DISK IT IS THE GOD OF DEFRAGGERS IT WILL DEFRAG OFFLINE FILES TOO... WHICH IS PROBABLY CAUSING FASTER DEFRAGMENTATION... ALSO CREATE A 1GB PARTITON AND MOVE YOUR TEMP INTERNET FILES FOLDER TO IT... AS THEY WILL ACCELERATE FILE FRAGMENTATION.

PerfectDisk

XP Abuser is right on! Perfect Disk 5.0 is well worth the money. It's the only defragger that defrags the Registry and PageFile while in Windows. You don't have to eliminate and recreate a page file to clean it out. I think Raxco has a trial version you can try before purchase. It's fast and does the best job of ANY defrag program!

Diskeeper also does a trial version

http://www.executive.com/downloads/menu.asp

Diskeeper is a little bit quicker > because it doesn't read every files attributes

in theory PerfectDisk could actually slow down the launching of applications > using smart placement > PerfectDisk will rip apart linear installs by categorizing individual files and laying out the files in different locations on the disk

one thing for PerfectDisk > it has pretty colors

:p :p :p

You do know that it isn't necessary to go into safe mode to defragment your disk, don't you? I do not know if this is what may be causing your problems.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
You do know that it isn't necessary to go into safe mode to defragment your disk, don't you? I do not know if this is what may be causing your problems.

should be getting better & faster results defragging in safe mode

but yeah like Un4gIvEn1 says you really dont need to

XP is much better than win9x

you can pretty much defrag with anything running in the background

the warning you get from windows defragger is because of the amount of the fragmentation in the first place
it was unable defrag everything in one pass
this is quite normal
if you defrag on a regular basis it'll do a better job & faster in a single pass

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back