Defragmentation does not work

Z

zee

i can defrag my D: and E: drive but i cannot defrag the C: drive. when i try to defrag C:, it says defragmenting and it stays at 1% forever and the HD light does not blink as it does when defragmenting other drives. i have some services disabled but none of which have to do with defragmentation. i defragged the C: drive few weeks ago. i tried from the command line, the same issue, it does not work. anyone has any idea what is going on?
it does not report any errors.

i'm using windows defrag program.
my computer:

1.4 AMD TB
512 DDR ram
GF2 GTS 64 RAM
Acoustic edge sound card
Realteack NIC
IBM 60 GB 7200 RPM HD

Have you tried a different defrag utility?
Give Diskeeper a try (it's a better defrag utility anyway ). You can try it for free. See if it helps.

Same problem. So I use Norton SpeedDisk (comes with system works) and it works fine

Defrag

Have you tried defragging in safe mode as no programs are running in the background?

I use Diskeeper 7 and think it's marv!:D

i used disk keeper and it worked. i guess i'm gonna stick with it till i format the system. but i stopped its service from running. i'll mannaully enable it when i need to defrag. it takes like 5 MB of ram and slows system at start up.

really the diskkeeper service is slowing you at startup? I've never had any slowdown problems with it, I like to have ti running since my comp is never off and after the first couple of defrags it works great.

it's not noticable but from the amount of memory it takes you can tell it would slow the system to start up. you only need it to be running in the back ground when youhave the set it and forget it option enabled other than that it's useless and wastes system resources.

Why is it when I try to run disk keeper in safe mode it tells me that it'll try to connect with a local host...or something to that nature and instead of connecting, it just sits there trying to do something besides defrag my drive?

When I say something, I mean it just sits there like it's trying to start up forever.

Forget about DiskKeeper! It's basically your integrated defragger, but with one extra--it gives a person more information about the condition of their drive.

Disk Keeper did nothing exceptionally different from my current default defrag program. It left chunks of fragged files untouched for no reason and it gave me many other problems, such as it kept pushing a group of fragged files further away from the defragged group.

If you really want a good alternative defrag program get O&O Defrag 2000 Pro. This program not only actually defragged my entire drive, but it's also much faster than Disk Keeper.

I'll stick to Norton Speed Disk. With hard drive scores of 1100+ at Madonion's PCMark 2002, Speed Disk has got to be doing something right!;)

I stick also to SpeedDisk for defragmenting. It worked well with Windows 98 SE.

Now my SpeedDisk has to work on Windows XP. Although my harddisk is defragmented regularly every few days, the defragmenting takes quite long as if the harddisk had never been defragmented before. Very strange...

Do have the same experience?

Regards,
Agus

Originally posted by SnookBooger
I'll stick to Norton Speed Disk. With hard drive scores of 1100+ at Madonion's PCMark 2002, Speed Disk has got to be doing something right!;)

what exactly does defraging your hard drive do? does it free up space? does it make your computer go faster?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back