defragging

L

l2pc-hack

i need your help, when i defrag, it takes for ever, i have a 20mb hard drive, running ntfs file system,amd 950 processor. it sometimes takes 30-45 minutes. is this normal?

Sounds pretty close to normal. You might have had an extreme amount of fragmented files, and it just took a while.

no, actually, it always says i dont need to defrag,even if i do it twice, it still takes that long

maybe this is normanl, im was just spoiled with 98, and norton speed disk i guess,

Hmmm...

The access speed of a 20MB HD is quite slow, compared to today's speed. Gotta figure that in too.

That is unless you mean GB.:)

oh, silly me, your right again lol, i do have a 20gb

thx sprung for the help, i guess i needed to here it from someone this was normal,

No problem :)

Normal is such a relative term though...:D

You can also use a program called Diskeeper to defragment your hardrive, it's a bit faster and also better than the windows one.

Fhuising

www.diskeeper.com

Just about every commercial defragmenter is better than the built-in defragmenter. You mention Diskeeper. There is also:

PerfectDisk - www.raxco.com
O&O Defrag - www.oo-defrag.com
Defrag Commander - www.winternals.com
SystemWorks - www.symantec.com
Vopt - www.goldenbow.com
Ontrack - www.ontrack.com

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back