Defrag

zyfos

Resurrected
I tried defragmenting one of my harddrives but windows refuses to defragment it completely. (Might be because there's not enough free space.) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of any really good defrag progs that are preferably free. I've tried the defrag that comes with Norton 2002 and 2003, but I haven't installed it this time because of all the junk it wants to run at startup and whatnot.

use the trial of perfectdisc, which needs less free space.

I warn you though, will get addicted the perfect disc, and will end up purchasing their great product

Diskeeper Lite is the defrag program used By XP as a model , but is more comprehensive.
There dont seem to many free programs better.

Did it give you a reason for not completing the Defrag???

Did it say that there may be corrupted files on the HDD and that you need to do a "Scan Disk"???

Currious as to the reason for it not completing it's task. :cool:

I've found PerfectDisk to do the best job on my box.
If you want a free alternative, Diskeeper Lite is the way to go.

I just tried PerfectDisk out. It worked pretty nice on my 80 gig drive. I tried it on my 250 mb partition tho just for fun. It went from 0.7% fragmentation to 2.1% fragmentation. I think I might try out DiskKeeper Lite on my 40 gig too see how it works out.
The last time I tried to use microsoft's defrag, it said that there wasn't enough free space for it to do it's job, so it just gave up.

Why do you have such a small partition???

I use a 250 mb FAT32 partition as a boot drive. I can put linux boot files on there so that I can dual boot WinXP and RedHat/Suse/whatever. I can also use it to share files between the different operating systems. I just find it easier to do it this way.

Ummmm, could that be why it won't complete the defrag??? Because of the Linux stuff???

I may be way off with that thought. :confused:

But...

Use Scandisk if Defrag repeatedly dies on you.

Close all your programs including your virus scanner. Don't have any programs running when using Defrag because this program will need to access the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and will thus halt or usually cause the process to restart.

Also, Disable your screen saver. Clean up your hard drive. The more free space there is on your HDD the better these tools work.

Empty your browser's cache and history folders. Uninstall any programs you no longer use, and finally don't forget to empty the recycle bin. Defrag should run like a dream now. We hope. :cool:

I burned off 35 cds worth of stuff and decided to defrag with PerfectDisk. Seems to be working ok now.

I have been using Diskeeper for some time, it usually takes 50 odd minutes to defrag my 30 gig drive, after hearing your praise I decided to install and try Perfectdisk. It took 3hrs and 11mins to complete, to say the least I was not impressed

smoke, perfect disc is moving all of your files to new locations...give it chance to catch up with itself

In answer to a statement on Diskeeper lite taking a long time to defrag.
Based on Defragmentation of 1.30 on C drive and 5 other partitions slightly defragged, for a total of 70Gig, covering 2 h/ds (one is USB external)
Defrag time was 3 mins on my system !

(XP2200+, 512MB Ram ,etc)

Interested to see if this is the usual ?

"I have been using Diskeeper for some time, it usually takes 50 odd minutes to defrag my 30 gig drive, after hearing your praise I decided to install and try Perfectdisk. It took 3hrs and 11mins to complete, to say the least I was not impressed"

Some defragmenters simply defragment files. PerfectDisk optimizes the drive. Not only is PerfectDisk defragmenting files, but it is also consolidating free space (something that Diskeeper really doesn't do) and placing files so that the partition re-fragments slower and future defrag passes run faster. Of course, you can "dumb down" PerfectDisk and tell it to Defrag Only - in which case it simply defragments files like other less advanced defragmenters :)

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

greg, I've been using perfect disc for quite a while now...love this program, and it's functionality does what defragmenting is supposed to accomplish.

of course consolidating the information on a drive is going to take longer then the simple defragmentaition of files.

at any rate, it's great to see you gregg

wish you'd stop by more often

Well, i took a look at PerfectDisk, since i too am looking for a bit better defragger. To tell you the truth, it actually looks pretty good as far as the website. Didn't download it yet, mostly cause of the fact that i hate trialware. Also don't have a CC to buy it, so i'm also outta luck there. I guess since i have nothing else to do:confused: i might as well give it a run for the money and see what it's like.

elemental, do the trial...no need to take a gamble

you're going to like it, but do the trial

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
Well, i took a look at PerfectDisk, since i too am looking for a bit better defragger. To tell you the truth, it actually looks pretty good as far as the website. Didn't download it yet, mostly cause of the fact that i hate trialware. Also don't have a CC to buy it, so i'm also outta luck there. I guess since i have nothing else to do:confused: i might as well give it a run for the money and see what it's like.

I say it's worth it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back