Definition of PC Geek?

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
Just curiosity...

Everyone at work thinks I'm a major geek just because I have 3 PC's (mine, kids', wife's) all networked together. The funny part is that everyone who thinks this, works with PC's somewhat as part of their job!

This site alone has 26,249 users as of right now, most of which would fall in my category I would think.

Is their "accustation" true? I mean, there have got to be tons of people out there who have similar setups, right? I don't know too many people except from work so my sample pool is pretty small.

I'm not a programmer or hacker or anything, I just enjoy building and using them. Is that weird?

i have 4 pc's networked together at home :p
people just call us geeks cause they cant take it that we are better with computers than they are ;)

The term Geek has a different definition for everyone. I doubt you'll get any rock solid answers to your question.

Although, be proud to be called a geek, gone are the days when being labeled a geek was embarrassing.

When people call me a geek or nerd, they might think they're talking down to me or whatever, but inside, I love it.

P.S. I'm fairly close to you as far as quantity of PC's in the house and level of attachment to them... You know you're not alone.

Originally posted by Herkalees
...When people call me a geek or nerd, they might think they're talking down to me or whatever, but inside, I love it.

Lol, that's how I feel, but I thought that was weird! :D

nope there are almost 26,000 other people that think the same about that i think :p

there is nothing wrong with being a computer geek... I'm a ghetto kid (well I'm not a kid anymore, unless we talk about toys R' us) turned computer geek so when people see me they don't see the geek in me until I start talking computers, then it all comes out.

Most people now a days are computer geeks anyway... I say, if you know how to fix your computer, upgrade you computer, then your a geek :D

say what I say.... well maybe not depending on how old you are.

your a computer nerd!

Hey, everyone needs a hobbie, just so happens mine will make me lots of money when I get older! :p

Originally posted by Krux
say what I say.... well maybe not depending on how old you are.

your a computer nerd!

Hey, everyone needs a hobbie, just so happens mine will make me lots of money when I get older! :p

I thought i was going to make a lot of money too but I can't find a damn job... I got my MCSE, MCP, MCSA, and A+ with no job... A friend and I are going to start up a little tech co. out here so I hope that goes well cause I live around rich white people that can pay good money to get their computer fixed :D

Well I have 5. Had 6 (on as router replaced by a real one).

And yeah, I'm a nerd I guess. :)

I thought i was going to make a lot of money too but I can't find a damn job... I got my MCSE, MCP, MCSA, and A+ with no job... A friend and I are going to start up a little tech co. out here so I hope that goes well cause I live around rich white people that can pay good money to get their computer fixed

Sorry to hear that man. I don't have any certifications. Taking my 70-270 at the end of the month. I have a great job that I love. I administer computers at 14 stores as well as our corporate office. I administer the RIS server. I also do all of the automated software package creation. Keep pluggin man. Something will come your way. If it doesn't then maybe you aren't in the right place.

Good luck!

I have 5 (running) PCs at home. One has a triple monitor setup, one running Linux, and the other 3 that are running are just "test" PCs for various different things. On top of that I have more than 20 older PCs that are all in working condition just crammed into a closet. My friends always tease me when they come over because I always have PC parts laying around. Well... what I can I say? I make 35K a year doin' something that I love to do and then on top of that I make about $200-400 extra a month on the side. Tease ME all you want... Just remember that when you go to work tonight to stock the shelves for $7 an hour! :p

I think Geeks are those people who play games such as *cough*Counter Strike*cough*
all day, every day. They take it all too seriously and won't stop talking about that
f**king outdated pile of crap.
I mean, yer that game WAS good about two years ago. C'mon
there are plenty more games out there.
Also, this little gem has popped up recently....>pwned<....
OK, what the f**k does that mean?
:huh:

I never have a problem with the odd Tech Guru cos I usually
find em' good sources for PC information....

I take an advanced computer course at college, have loads of
computer gear at home, but nobody had EVER called me a nerd
or geek...

Respect to you Tech Guru's, Hardcore gamer zombies can burn for all i care:)

Originally posted by Lockstock
Also, this little gem has popped up recently....>pwned<....
OK, what the f**k does that mean?
:huh:

Owned, as in - I pwned j00 n00b. Stupid CS freaks... :)

hah, geeks pwn :D
I think that "pwn" came from a typo, the same as the word "teh" is now a recognised word. Most words like this tend to come from spelling mistakes that are quite common and either someone somewhere thinks it sounds good, or they just get replicated so often that it just becomes accepted.

Weebl and Bob, Weebl and Bob!!!

[Speedy_B's avatar]

Kick ass man, welcome to my club.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back