Defective Motherboard or Processor?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I have reason to believe that much of my previous problems originated from this problem. I have an Asus A7A266 motherboard with a 1.3 GHz Athlon Processor. Theoretically, the motherboard should more than handle that speed, but I've found that it runs slower and spastically when I clock it at 1.3 GHz. I've been forced to put it at 1.0 GHz in the BIOS, where my computer runs perfectly.

Is this normal and expected? Or would this mean that I have something defective and that I should get a replacement?

Melon

I'm betting it's the proc...did you buy the proc from a reliable source? some little companies every now and then rip people off by remarking the proc...I suggest you download and run wcpuid and find out the model nuimber and look it up

This may be stating the obvious, but had you monitored the temperature when running @ 1.3g, overheating causes some of the problems you described.
That MOBO should easily handle higher speeds.

Buddy of mine had to clock his 1.2 Ghz down to 900 to get it to run stabely on his A7A266. He's not getting good air flow through his case.

hmm

did you format ur hd before adding thatmobo? cause i didnt when i upgraded mine and it did that same crap....and more.
and yes it could be heat too. you need good airflow, if the mobo and chip get too hot, most new mobos will drop the clock rate and fsb. what is ur cpu temp, and ur mobo temp? how many fans you got?, although if ur pc over heats and shuts down when u power back up it will take strait into the bios. does it do that?

normal running temp should be from 48c to 58c, but its always nice to get it a little lower. i got my athlon xp, runnin at 45c, and up to 52c under a heavy load. you might be able to hear you cpu fan rpms go up if the temp goes up in your tower...mine will when it gets over 50 c....;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back