>Default Registry<

S

seeme

Are there any programs that can reset the registry to the default windows settings?

I am having major slow down issues with my computer that im 100% positive are becuase of something ive done to the registry.

and like the clever boy i am, i didnt back it up.

I NEED DESPARATELY a program to fix it.

:(

Jeremy

system restore is turned off, honestly ive exhausted all solutions except for a format and new install.

Ive already posted a thread of the problem, but i think that i really need to use some program to fix the registry.

any ideas?

I think I can say this with quite confidence, there is no programme out there that can possibly know what your original Registry looked like, without it being installed at the onset and having taken a snapshot on the onset. You say System Restore was disabled, so have you tried a repair job? Boot to the Windows CD go through the motions and it will offer a repair option.

I'd like to know why so many people have System Restore turned off. Seems like you got some bad advice. It's saved my butt more than once and I've never had a problem with it. System Restore would have restored your registry to any date that you choose and you wouldn't have this problem. Just my two cents.

Seem , what can i say in this case , a registry backup was the best ideea but after a " defaut operation " major of your applications wouldn't work . Thought at this ?
In your place i was allready installed xp again .

Heh :D Cosmin's english sometimes lets him down :D

I think he's saying that a backup before tinkering would have been a good idea and when it happened to him he reinstalled.

I haven't turned off system restore but turned down the offered disk space to a minimum. Will I still be able to restore my system to any given point? What consequences does this have? Got the throttle at 200MB now.

thx in advance Oerficus

oerficus

I am far from an expert in this field - however, as I understand it:

When you turn down the allocated space for restore points:

- it will limit the number of restore points - in that each restore point averages in the neighborhood of 35 to 40 MB (on my puter) - so you might be able to keep a total of 5 restore points

- as restore points are created (after you run out of space - ie your 200 MB) - the oldest restore point will be deleted

- you will be able to restore to any of the restore points that are still available - thus you may not be able to go back as far as you would like to if you only have 5 restore points available

Seems like allan - provided me with some very good info and some places to read about the restore function when I first started on XP back in February

Thx damnyank!
But there's another question that suddenly comes into my mind: When is a new restore point saved to the disk? Everytime the registry is changed? Don't think so...

Oerifus

You asked for it!

System Restore provides several types of restore points

The list below describes each type of restore point and how System Restore works with each type.

Initial System checkpoints

This restore point is created the first time you start your computer after you upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition or when you first start a new computer. Selecting this restore point reverts Windows XP Home Edition and programs to the state they were in at that time. All files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored.

If System Restore must remove all old restore points to make room for new changes, a new restore point is created and restore points creation resumes from that time.

System checkpoints

System Restore creates restore points on a regular basis even if you have not made any changes to the system. System Restore automatically creates these restore points:

every 24 hours of calendar time
or

every 24 hours your computer is turned on
If your computer is turned off for more than 24 hours, System Restore creates a restore point the next time you start the computer. The computer must be idle for a few minutes before System Restore creates a scheduled restore point.

Selecting a scheduled restore point restores Windows XP Home Edition and programs to the state they were in at that time. Any files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored.

Program name installation restore points

When you install a program by using the latest installers such as InstallShield and Windows XP Home Edition Installer, System Restore creates a restore point. Use these restore points to track changes made to your system or to restore your computer to the state it was in before you installed the program.

Selecting this restore point removes installed files and registry settings, and it restores programs and system files that were altered by the installation. Any files with data file name extensions (such as .doc, .htm, .xls, etc.) and all files in the My Documents folder are not restored.

To revert the changes made by a program that does not use one of the specified installers, select the most recent restore point before the program was installed.

Windows XP Home Edition automatic update restore points

If you use Windows XP Home Edition automatic updates to receive downloaded updates, System Restore creates a restore point before installing the updating software. If items are downloaded, but not installed, a restore point is not created. A restore point is created only when the components start to install. Use these points to track changes you made to your system, or if these updates might conflict with other products on your computer.

Manually created restore points

You can manually create your own restore points in the System Restore Wizard. When a created restore point is listed in the Select a restore point screen, it includes the name you gave it and is prefaced with the day, date and time it was created. You can create a restore point when you like the way your computer is functioning or before you make changes on your computer, like installing programs, that might make your computer function differently.

Restore operation restore points

Each time you perform a restoration, it is a change made to your computer. System Restore creates restore operation restore points to track the change and the restoration. You can select these restore operation restore points in the Select a restore point screen in the System Restore Wizard to undo the restoration.

Unsigned device driver restore points

System Restore immediately creates a restore point if it detects that you are installing a driver to your computer that has not been signed or certified by Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). If the installation of the driver makes undesirable changes to your computer, you can select these restore points in the Select a restore point screen in the System Restore Wizard to undo the changes and restore your computer to the state that existed before you installed the driver.

Notes

If you restore to a restore point before a program was installed, that program does not work after restoration. If you want to use the program again, you must reinstall it.
System Restore does not replace the process of uninstalling a program. To completely remove the files installed by a program, you must remove the program using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or the program's own uninstall program. To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
System Restore does not monitor or restore contents of redirected folders or any settings associated with roaming user profiles.
System Restore monitors and restores only the partitions and drives that it is configured to monitor, not partitions or drives that are redirected or excluded from System Restore monitoring.

Thx man, that's much more I've been asking for. Am satisfied at the moment even though I know that not all of my XP questions will ever be answered...
At least I know that there are some guys out there who know the information or where to get it as fast as possible :)

Originally posted by Oerficus

At least I know that there are some guys out there who know the information or where to get it as fast as possible :)

That's what this is all about - helping others with what you know and hopefully someone knowing an area you are weak in and helping you out in return!!

:D :D

damnyank -- good for you!!! ;)

And I couldn't agree more about turning off the System Restore (Restory Point) function. In my opinion it's just silly - like walking a high wire without a net - what's the point? Professionals don't do it, why should we?

Thanks guys, oh well, its my own problem, ive done a refresher install with the winXP cd. and for the moment that seems to have solved my problems.

J

I'm not sure of the name, I think it is called 'registry first aid'. It's for win9x. It restored the registry back to a clean install. (nearly)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back