Default drive D?

legodude83089

OSNN Dude
Hello,
I reinstalled XP last night and Windows made my default drive D which causes problems when booting. Is there a way to set my D drive as C. Also there is a C drive but I unplugged it to see if my mbr would switch it for me. Thanks.

You can't change the letter on the boot device. I had this same problem, the only way I solved it was reformatting and reinstalling. When you do that make sure whatever device is taking up C: is unplugged.

You dont have to have the current C unplugged.
You can reformat both drives during windows set up.
Unfortunately windows setup is the most nerve racking thing ever.
You will still have to reformat to change the drives around.

Does it boot up though?
I mean, my drives are messed up like that.
Well sorta.
The d Drive happened to be the smaller drive, so i have windows on that and files on the c.
It boots up fine for me, but your question led me to believe you had boot troubles.

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else. Back up your registry keys before you make this change.

This is not for you this will render you unbootable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, apparantly this was not for my case. I did it and restarted my PC and after the windows bar at the bottom of the screen was done loading the screen went black and nothing happened. So I simply reinstalled Windows with the "C drive" unplugged. My default drive is now C. I had already saved all my important files to my other hard drive when I first reinstalled Windows and as a precaution I unauthorized my iTunes account for that computer, boy am I glad I did, so no harm done. I would suggest that you delete those links in case someone sees them and doesn't read the rest of the thread. Thanks again.

Well, reinstalling is the best way to go.
Glad you got it fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back