Dedicate RAM to Video Card

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
My brother has an eMachines computer. The mobo has an integrated video card. Is there a way to dedicate more RAM to the display? He has 512MB DDR and only 32 of that is dedicated to the display...

Brad

what you can do is go to your bios and increase the "Aperture Size" depending on your mobo bios you can increase it to 256 or up to 50% of your ram. here have a good read about Aperture Size examined and explained.

Also in the bios there should be an option to change the amout of ram dedicated to the graphics,some motherboards have options from 16mb upto 64mb

for onboard graphics, 32mb is a lot. there's a chance his will let him go up to 64mb, but not likely. 32mb is probably the max.

with something that slow, it doesn't really matter how much memory you give it, anyway.

Oh man I have a eMachines computer, onboard video is horrible IMO. I had 192 megs of RAM and the aperture at 128 and I only got 8 megs of Ram for the onboard video, I think 32megs is all your gonna get. (I know the aperture was to big, but that was in the day I didnt know much about that stuff)

But my eMachine is almost 4 years old so yours maybe different. I slapped in a Radeon 32 mb SDR and the preformance jump was huge, getting your bro a video card might be the best solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back