Declaration of independance banned at California school

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Finally, looks like politicla correctness has left the UK and headed over to the USA

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God -- including the Declaration of Independence.

Steven Williams, a fifth-grade teacher at Stevens Creek School in the San Francisco Bay area suburb of Cupertino, sued for discrimination on Monday, claiming he had been singled out for censorship by principal Patricia Vidmar because he is a Christian.

"It's a fact of American history that our founders were religious men, and to hide this fact from young fifth-graders in the name of political correctness is outrageous and shameful," said Williams' attorney, Terry Thompson.

"Williams wants to teach his students the true history of our country," he said. "There is nothing in the Establishment Clause (of the U.S. Constitution) that prohibits a teacher from showing students the Declaration of Independence."

Vidmar could not be reached for comment on the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday in U.S. District Court in San Jose and claims violations of Williams rights to free speech under the First Amendment.

Its funny, over here in the UK every year at this time of year you hear about one more shop that bans christmas displays because they might offend...

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6911883

this is one side of the story, and if it stood alone and true, it's rediculous...obviously there's nothing wrong with showing the declaration, and any judge that would prohibit the display should be disbarred

however, if you take a specific phrase or phrases out of context so that you can shove your religion down the throat of children that don't share your belief, you are desecrating our history...it kicks the founders fathers of this nation right in the grave...that's probably what's going on here...the right winged wealthy owned media love to present a story the way they want it to be interpreted

let's wait to hear the states side of this story...one side is never enough

as far as banning christmas displays, if it's on government property, then equal attention has to be given to any religous sect that requests and expects equal protection under the government.

otherwise you have a government sponsered religion

i cant even think of something to say :|

/agrees with Perris

Seperation of state and religion? Instead I see politicians in bed with religious leaders. Churches were posts where young men would sign up for duty. The same religions on BOTH sides of a war advocating that teh government is right and you must support the cause. Religious leaders strong arming politicians to do what they want.

I am all for religious freedoms, and I pay my taxes and do what is required. But I feel that ther is WAY too much mixing. However I don't vote so.........

political correctness has simply gone mad, I personally feel wrt to the UK anyways that if people have left/fled their home country and come to the UK and then proceed to complain about things like Christmas, and English being the primary conversational and informational language then they should either keep quiet or have not come here in the first place. The english language is a core part of this country, and the christian religion, Church of England anyways, is crucially tied to our national identity and history and neither of which should be compromised simply to appease people who have come here of their own choice (I say own choice as there are countries in Europe to choose to inhabit).
I am by choice an agnostic, but I dont go about forcing my beliefs or lack of them on other people (well except my sister, but thats more just to piss her off ;) )

wow b o ll o ck s is filtered ?

Anyways thats all I wanted to say was the big ole nasty "B" word .

:p :p

Kermit_The_Frog said:
wow b o ll o ck s is filtered ?

Anyways thats all I wanted to say was the big ole nasty "B" word .

:p :p
I tend to use boswellox now :p

if you are in the UK you will probably have seen the advert with "added boswellox" if you are in the US I have no idea

Well I am in the GREAT WHITE NORTH and have not seen that ad but seeing as I was born in Nottingham the word is part of my vocab.

Electronic Punk said:
Finally, looks like politicla correctness has left the UK and headed over to the USA

Its funny, over here in the UK every year at this time of year you hear about one more shop that bans christmas displays because they might offend...

From The Sun:

BOSSES have banned Santa from a shopping centre - in case he offends non-Christians.
The Scrooges struck at Birmingham's famous Bullring.

A spokeswoman said: "We wish to be sensitive to people of other religions over the festive period. There are a lot of people in the region who are not Christians and do not celebrate Christmas."

James Lovell, of Santa training school the Ministry of Fun, said: "This is a great shame, as Santa is for everyone, regardless of religion."

The Sun launched a Don't Sack Santa campaign yesterday after stores on London's Oxford Street also snubbed Father Christmas. Mean shop chiefs reckon he takes up too much room.

SANTA will also be missing from these shopping centres: Brent Cross, North London; Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow; Swansgate Centre, Wellingborough, Northants; Clayton Square, Liverpool; Prospect Centre, Bradford; Whitgift Centre, Croydon; Oracle Centre, Reading, Berks; Merry Hill Centre, Dudley, West Midlands.
Bloody ridiculous :mad:

^^^ OMG - Mrs DY agrees with Marge - bloody ridiculous!!!!:eek:

private property is provate property, I can't beleive the government has a say over how the owner wants to celebrate the holidays...that is "bloody rediculous"

as far as this point though;

James Lovell, of Santa training school the Ministry of Fun, said: "This is a great shame, as Santa is for everyone, regardless of religion."

no, santa is not for everyone.

the general open nature and giving spirit which is represented in christmas and santa is for everyone, how can kindness be frowned upon?

Kind of thing just makes you want to go on a killing rampage!!!

Khayman said:
Kind of thing just makes you want to go on a killing rampage!!!
Errr no :eek:
Has anyone ever heard someone of a different religion actually say they are offended by Christmas??? I haven't and nobody else I have ever ask has either.

My neighbours are from India and do not celebrate xmas but they always wish us and us back a merry christmas,they have a little boy who insists on wearing a Santa hat every year,I saw him in it this morning :D

I remember dicussing this with them last year and they just don't understand where these people get their ideas from.

exactly

you go somewhere you should do your best to embrace or tolerate their national culture, you can bring aspects of your own culture with you and share them if you want as well though.

heck, I was living in a house of 24 people last year and one of them was an american, we celebrated Thanksgiving with her even though its not a UK holiday, I even cooked two giant 7 or something kilo turkeys for it.

That's how it should be but there's always someone who has no idea sticks their nose in :rolleyes:

Our Nation was largely founded on religious freedom...why we consistently try to go against that belief these days is ridiculous. Teaching about our founding fathers, many of whom were very religious men, and the documentation that defined our young nation is simply practicing freedom of religion. I understand the "separation of church and state" theory, but you cannot separate the fact that God is a written part of our history.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back