Decisions, Decisions

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I want opinions. What would you have done in this situation....

I called Best Buy today inquiring about Wii stocks. Of course, they don't have any. The guy in Customer Service said they come in & are gone in minutes. He had never even seen on on the shelf, they usually do a lottery for the people in line. I knew they would be difficult to find, and I'm a pretty patient guy so I can wait. But I have $300 in BB gift cards burning a whole in my pocket. I decided to head up to BB anyways (it's about an hour or so away from me.) I figured I'd spend them on some movies or maybe some games for my existing consoles. Then I think.... DS! I want new SMB. So I look. OUT! No DS, No new SMB. NOTHING.

I round the corner disappointed and I see it. 60 GB PS3!! I was so shocked I had to flag down a blue shirt and ask ... Is that for real? He said yep, I said I didn't think they'd be that easy to find. He says they aren't, it just came in as a Christmas return. The store closed in 30 minutes. A decision was required.

I agonized over it. I see a 360, I see Gears of War, I hear more DS's are coming in before the end of the week. I keep thinking about a Wii. I had no idea what to do. In the end I chose nothing. I figured the Wii will be in eventually, the 360 isn't ever out of stock and the PS3 will be back sooner or later too. Still.... I don't know if I made the right call. I mean, I don't have an HDTV yet, that is going to be a purchase sometime in 2007. There aren't any games I really want for PS3 yet. I have no intention of buying all my 200+ dvd's on Blu-Ray. So really I'm just paying for a pretty black box that will sit there. Then again ... I'd be the only one of my friends with one. And they are rare so it would be cool to have one. But its so expensive. But I was getting $300 off with gift cards. ARGH!! Frustration!

I know they'll be gone in the morning. I know I missed out. But I think I made the right call. It drove me crazy settling on nothing. In fact one of the main reasons I settled on it had nothing to do with what I mentioned above. It was simply that I spend most of my free time playing World of Warcraft. Do I have time for another console? I didn't think I did. Still I'd like to hear what you all think.

I play WoW and I will probably buy a Wii in the near future.

Sounds like quite an adventure :)

Both the XBOX360 and PS3 are great, but not the same without HDTV :D

i think you made the right choice. the ps3 is a hype machine and not really worth the $600 unless you want a cheaper blu-ray player.

i would either get the wii or the 360. i have the 360 and am loving gears and viva pinata. well worth it to me.

im actually picking up a ps3 tomorrow from gamestop, they have this deal going where if you turn in your ps2 + a second sony brand controller + any brand 8mb memory card, youll get 100$ off your ps3 purchase. so tomorrow ill be going in to purchase my ps3...i can't wait!

ahh i didn't see that you also play wow. ill be picking up burning crusade if they have any left at the midnight lauch party, but i probably won't get into to it until later, like after the servers become stable again from all the launch craziness.

Last edited:
I'd say to jump for a 360. Not sure the PS3 or Wii are worth getting.

I'd say to jump for a 360. Not sure the PS3 or Wii are worth getting.
"i think you made the right choice. the ps3 is a hype machine and not really worth the $600 unless you want a cheaper blu-ray player."

Thats the just of it.

I honestly would not recommend the 360, or the DS...
I think the wii is the best shot here.
I have been pondering systems since november, not once have i even considered the 360, its a year older than the rest, and there isnt anything "special" about it. I'd just wait for the wii to come into stock, at least it will be a fun system, not the boring old regular system, who needs good graphics? Thats what our computers are for :)

I would throw my support for the Wii or the 360 (or both ;) )

Oh.. and for what it's worth, the stories I have heard (as well as a quick check around the area) show that the PS3 is in stock at about 90% of the stores around here (BB, GameStop, heck.. even Target/Walmart have a couple in stock) while the Wii's are nowhere to be found. Now, given that the PS3 have had less units shipped than the Wii's but can still be found.. well, you can figure out where consumerism has driven purchasing.

I'm still Wii shopping. Everyone around my (crappy) area says you won't get one for retail pricing until late spring. eBay has them, but they skyrocket in price the closer it is till end of auction.

I've seen PS3's everywhere since I originally posted this, I'm glad I didn't get one, it was just the shock of seeing them in stock at the time. Now that I know I could get one anywhere I'm not so keen on it.

I want WoW:BC but it's kind of worthless until I get my Lock up to 58 so I can do some Dark Portal stuff, that'll be another week or so I think.

I did get a DS. And I love it. New SMB is the most fun ever! I got Mario Kart too, the wireless multiplayer is great. I highly recommend the DS!

i actually feel a little depressed for sony, the ps3 is looking like it may be set to at least the 3rd in line or perhaps even tank, and that would be good bye sony....

its a tough marketing choice, because if they lower their prices right now, it'll look like the ps3 needs to price lowered to sell, which in turn will make the ps3 look desperate.

i think microsoft will out sell the ps3 no matter what happens now and the wii will be a close second.

I have to say though that the two games i got for the wii, where graphically terrible, zelda princess and red steel.

Red steel looked like a n64 port at best and zelda a poor gamecube port, which it technically was, even though they supposedly upgraded the graphics for the wii.

But i am blown away by one game... and haha it isnt even a wii game, i got resident evil 4, which is a gamecube game, but as the wii is also a gamecube it works wonders. The graphics in that game are awesome, in fact just as good as any pc game out there right now.

So that was my consolation, if a late gen gamecube game could look that wonderful, and the Wii is sporting better hardware than the cube, then there should be great things in the works for the wii.....

p.s. RE4 really is the best console game i have ever played, bar FF7 on the ps1 back in the day.

EDIT: i was actually going to sell my wii until i play RE4.

Buy a wireless gamecube controller if you are going to play cube games on the wii, a wired cube controller totally destroys the point of the wii.

i got the wavemaster, really impressed so far.

i actually feel a little depressed for sony, the ps3 is looking like it may be set to at least the 3rd in line or perhaps even tank, and that would be good bye sony....

its a tough marketing choice, because if they lower their prices right now, it'll look like the ps3 needs to price lowered to sell, which in turn will make the ps3 look desperate.

i think microsoft will out sell the ps3 no matter what happens now and the wii will be a close second.

I have to say though that the two games i got for the wii, where graphically terrible, zelda princess and red steel.

Red steel looked like a n64 port at best and zelda a poor gamecube port, which it technically was, even though they supposedly upgraded the graphics for the wii.

But i am blown away by one game... and haha it isnt even a wii game, i got resident evil 4, which is a gamecube game, but as the wii is also a gamecube it works wonders. The graphics in that game are awesome, in fact just as good as any pc game out there right now.

So that was my consolation, if a late gen gamecube game could look that wonderful, and the Wii is sporting better hardware than the cube, then there should be great things in the works for the wii.....

p.s. RE4 really is the best console game i have ever played, bar FF7 on the ps1 back in the day.

EDIT: i was actually going to sell my wii until i play RE4.

Buy a wireless gamecube controller if you are going to play cube games on the wii, a wired cube controller totally destroys the point of the wii.

i got the wavemaster, really impressed so far.
Hmmm.

Yeah i feel bad for sony too.
I think its just too expensive.

i am in no doubt it is worth the price tag with what they have in the box, but being worth it on paper and whats worth it for a console to the general public is another matter entirely, and they actually plan to release a $1,000 version as well, that has other features.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back