[DEBATE] Do not use registry cleaners

what is the best cleaner to use. will it delete the files by itself.

Funniest thread I've seen in awhile.

Welcome to OSNN, please PM me for tips on how to effectively use a registry cleaner.

:) Go Team Canada.

Re: Hello Everyone!!! DO Not USE

rjsmithwalmart said:
Let me tell you something, I been using windows and other os system. And any registry files you delete, it do not have to be a insert one it will make your system low and crash.

As for a registry cleaner, I use Regcleaner, it is the best one out. It makes a back up what you do. So if something does go wrong it you can go back. It also has a search function on it. What this search function will do is look for entries of the programs you uninstalled. Like for example; Say one day you would wake up and switch from AOL to a real ISP and you uninstall AOL. You can do a search in the program for AOL and it will find all references to AOL. You can then delete then in one swoop. It saves time when trying to do a manual search threw the registry.

You can also do a search of uninstall programs. This will go threw and find references to programs there uninstalled. And you can delete them as well. This will still make a back up so if you screw it up you can go back.

It will also clean the registry of unused items. These are mostly prefect items, and temp items. It will not delete things you need. But like stated above, if you would happen to make the error, you can go back with a back up that is made.

Before you make a statement it is best to back it up. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
bobsalot said:
what is the best cleaner to use. will it delete the files by itself.

I have used this one a bunch in the past, works great IMO :)

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

mlakrid said:
I disagree Perris, let him keep spewing crap like this...

he will just get laughed out of here.. making a cover all statement like this shows his lack of information on the subject...

with that attitude you got to be kidding...

just my opinion, but hes the type of person who is commonly reffered to as a "Turd in the punchbowl"

I would not be offended if he didnt come back... and you welcomed him too?

HA!

IMO, that is a very poor approach. OSNN would be nothing without it's members, and if a new person wants to contribute, we should all offer our opinions, to the contrirary if applicable, instead of trying to "laugh them out of here". I understand what you are saying, but people will disagree all the time. Conversations make topics interesting, don't you agree?

perris said:
if you mean the general cleaning functions of registry programs that allege to search for entries that don't do anything I happen to agree with the author of this thread

there are more issues then people ever realize by "purging useless registry entries"

features in programs you might not be using yet stop functioning, maybe you can't get windows updates, and a host if issues that don't arise for months

and a user will never be able to attribute his issue to the registry cleaner if it happens months after the "purge"

I've never EVER seen an issue resolved or a computer "sped up" by purging the registry, and I have seen plenty of issues caused and obviously the computer slowed down when an issue does occur

now, registry tools are excellant for remaining entries you've uninstalled but the uninstaller wasn't efficient, but the general purging tool in these programs should never be used on xp

imho

Very good points, I agree completely.

This thread is going fine. Debate is good. Just tone down the slightly attacking nature of the posts ;)

OT - can we have a thread cleaner on here please! I should love to see one that operates like the original poster implied, we could employ Ai heuristics so that the "thread cleaning" program would be "trained" by selected mods or elite subscribers and watch it evolving! We could have a new subscription option for viewing "clean threads" or maybe for viewing "dirty threads"

I know I will have lost many of you with my hyperbole, but I too see the funny side....

Back to the topic, we have a title that evolved - let us leave rjsmithwalmart alone - after all we know his name and where he works, so repect the guy for that maybe? There are signs of evolution already - who knows, maybe one day this guy will code the registry cleaning tool we all want to use? For all we know he is a code genius and this thread is a cunning ploy before he unveils his first beta link.....

I think I should stop posting today :dead: :smoker:

wwwdjrcs said:
IMO, that is a very poor approach. OSNN would be nothing without it's members, and if a new person wants to contribute, we should all offer our opinions, to the contrirary if applicable, instead of trying to "laugh them out of here". I understand what you are saying, but people will disagree all the time. Conversations make topics interesting, don't you agree?

When someone differs in opinion to yours, thats fine.

His post to Johnny was more offensive than what I posted.

Attacking someone and saying:
rjsmithwalmart said:
Let me tell you something, I been using windows and other os system. And any registry files you delete, it do not have to be a insert one it will make your system low and crash.

Is simply unnacceptable... as much as Perris, Johnny and I disagree on many issues we keep it civil. We dont go attacking each other. I was VERY suprised when Perris only asked him to tone it down.

Give it up.Perris has spoken and when Perris speaks you don't question him........He can and will hurt you :dead:

Evil Marge said:
Give it up.Perris has spoken and when Perris speaks you don't question him........He can and will hurt you :dead:

LOL, me and Perris get along fine, every time I have made good points on any arguements he has commended me by giving me rep for the specified comment.

:)

I for one appreciate that.

*back to the thread title*

back up your registry and do what you like, if you F it up, simply replace it with the saved version... end of story, this ain't rocket science...

*improper grammar and punctuation used for humor's sake only*

Grandmaster said:
This thread is going fine. Debate is good. Just tone down the slightly attacking nature of the posts ;)
Ditto. :)

I don't use a registry cleaner so can't comment! :p

I agree with what most of you are saying. Bottom line is if you use any type of registry cleaner, or make any tweaks, back up first. This way, if the poop hits the fan, you can restore to it :)

I prefer to live dangerously. but that is just me and it's not recommended.

Do what they say, backup. :)

Re: Hello Everyone!!! DO Not USE

Ya know? Reading rjsmithwalmart's first post, is the first time ever, I had really ever thought of giving someone negative rep, since re-introducing this ability was discussed last year. Same goes with the reply of his, for which it doesn't help realizing that I was looking at the cleaned up version of it. That's largely the view I would have wrt this. The whole way it was written was similar to the manner in which many of those virus scares, (which seem to find their way emailed all over kingdom come) get spread. But in the case of those emails, they're in fact hoaxes. I know of those things, because I've had family email them to me, for which I've had to educate them a bit, and in the end ask that these emails not be forwarded to me anymoe...

In fewer words wrt registry cleaners, we're seeing essentially the equivallent of

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/watching.hoax.html

he Watching hoax is a variant of the Wobbler Hoax. The hoax is similar to the following:

Subject: FW: VIRUS

IMPORTANT, URGENT - ALL SEEING EYE VIRUS! PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU HAVE AN E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR. If you receive an email titled "We Are Watching You!" DO NOT OPEN IT! It will erase everything on your hard drive. This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM, FBI and Microsoft states that this is a very dangerous and malicious virus, much worse than the "I Love You," virus and that there is NO remedy for it at this time...

There were some that claimed they'd erase the BIOS, destroy monitors and hard drives, blow up power supplies, or infect a text file, or other such stuff. The claims were almost as ridiculous as melting down one's mobo or causing premature grey hair :laugh:

Now, admitedly someone who is ignorant and who just goes along the thing to remove anything "cause the computer said so, so it must be true, as, computers are infalible and can never make mistakes" can get themself in trouble. But no worse trouble then the unthinking use of the command line can result in as well... In this case, the problem would be more to do with operator error, and less to do with the program. The program is a tool, and yet it is only there to assist, not replace human thinking on what one is doing. If one is wondering why I might use terms such as this to describe this; it is because I have already run into this with another individual who did exactly what I'm describing with an uninstall program, and when I walked in the door was frantically waiting for me. The first words outa their mouth was help, my computer doesn't work anymore. It was the clean .dll function, and the same thinking "if the computer said it, it must be true" to which no additional thought was added.

And as it proceeded, using the option to reverse changes, or look at the log to see what files were delted wasn't possible. Reason is, the immediate thought on their part was "the program must be bad", so they uninstalled it. The thinking didn't fall along the lines of, "perhaps I shouldn't have used it the way I did, and perhaps I should have kept a better eye on what I was doing with it".

perris said:
I've never EVER seen an issue resolved or a computer "sped up" by purging the registry, and I have seen plenty of issues caused and obviously the computer slowed down when an issue does occur

Actually, I have run into one, albeit I used regedt32 to manually purge the thing myself, rather then a registry cleaning tool. Johnny is correct though, that it might be a time saver vs. manually searching the stuff myself.

Anyone remember back to the days when 3dfx was still in existence, and as they didn't have unified drivers, such as nVidia and ATI now have, each product resulted in a whole new set of gfx drivers, based on a different code base? Well, not only could switching between a nVidia and a 3dfx card (or vise versa) cause problems, as setting it to VGA mode, or uninstalling the old drivers via the win2k Device Manager (only to have the system auto-restore the old drivers), then removing the board, and all other such stuff didn't effectively clean out the old drivers, but just switching between say a Voodoo 3 3000, and a Voodoo 5 5500 :eek:

With many driver files, as well as registry entries left behind, and the newer driver installed right onto the same PC, some rather odd problems resulted. I'm talking about rather weird and completely bogus benchmark results, all the way down to strange color corruption problems. I still remember the day I got Martian Unreal, which had something like a red sky and people with green faces on the thing :p Not sure if I still have a pic of this. I also had some other images appear on screen that looked totally unreal, with color corruption occuring here or there... There were other odd gfx issues besides.

Unfortunately, the screen shot is no longer on my computer. But a cleanup of the old driver files (which could be done from safe mode), as well as removing references to older device drivers could clean this up without a reformat, perhaps. I ended up switching to a GF2 GTS then, after taking a look at the Voodoo 5, which proved, problematic albeit a little less problematic, then swtiching between 2 seperate 3dfx driver sets in terms of weird issues, even after supposedly "uninstalling the drivers" through the win2k Device Manager. I think that time, not wanting to reformat only a couple days after my first reformat, I did use this method to clean all 3dfx stuff off my system, and got things back to normal.

I think this potential problem with old device drivers, (albeit it's less of an issue with the same companies card now, due to the use of integrated drivers), is why nVidia released their detonator driver removal tool some years ago...

Last edited:
I agree with Perris (ouch that hurt). I've never seen an improvement after a registry cleaning. But then I clean out the junk in my garage even when I can still squeeze the car into it.

Considering how many dead directory links and long ago deleted program references a registry cleaning finds I'll keep doing it regardless of not seeing an obvious improvement. Besides it's a good way to get an adrenaline rush between when you hit that Ok button and it starts deleting entries until you reboot and see if the computer still works.

regcleaner
system mechanic
registry mechanic
ccleaner

Just never run them in automatic and when in doubt, leave it alone.

LeeJend said:
I agree with Perris (ouch that hurt). I've never seen an improvement after a registry cleaning. But then I clean out the junk in my garage even when I can still squeeze the car into it.

Considering how many dead directory links and long ago deleted program references a registry cleaning finds I'll keep doing it regardless of not seeing an obvious improvement. Besides it's a good way to get an adrenaline rush between when you hit that Ok button and it starts deleting entries until you reboot and see if the computer still works.

regcleaner
system mechanic
registry mechanic
ccleaner

Just never run them in automatic and when in doubt, leave it alone.
hehe

he said he agreed with me

hehe

AWwwww Mr Smith never evolved to his third post :( :p ... then again maybe he's on shift at Walmart and it will be coming sometime soon with startling news of enlightenment!

I would say one thing out of this thread, which I know is OT... But imagine you were an OSNN virgin and you read this thread? You might seriously think about making your first post if it was on an issue where you did not feel technically competent, no? Yet folks like that are the ones we should (imho) welcome in more - just my closing thoughts here (since it don't look like no thread cleaning program is coming, we'll have to keep da mods!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back