Dead PC?

jonifen

pffff...
Firstly, the PC worked fine last night - no sign of dying or anything.

Today, the gf turned on her kids puter, and the screen came on as normal, but went off about 2 seconds later... PC remained on, but nothing came on the screen at all.

When I got home from work, I checked it, and its doing the same thing. It doesnt progress into loading WindowsXP (I would be able to tell by HDD sound and the activity light on the case).

It isnt so much a problem as I'm upgrading it at the weekend with my current p3 750mhz etc, but i would really like to find out what the problem is, and how I would go about sorting it.

I've replaced the psu - that was step #1 - no change

Anyway... specs are as follows:
intel celeron 566mhz
256mb pc-133 ram (2x 128mb)
some poo skt370 mobo - i think its gigabyte - its like a ringed car - no markings lol - cant boot to run any apps to check either :/
64mb gf2mx pci
realtek rtl8139 pci nic
48x cdrom
20gb wd hdd

thanks for any advice given... much appreciated

Did you check the graphics card?? Sounds like a pretty obvious first try to me...

i tried the onboard intel 810 (i think its 810) and didnt change anything.

im upgradin the pc tomorrow... so ill av a proper mess with it after then - no hurry for it to work really...

i remember something similar on an old 486 of my mums, it did that and when the battery (on the mobo) was replaced, it worked fine - havent got a spare battery, and seeing as they're something like £3 each nearly, ill try it after upgrading lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back