Ddr400 Ram

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
I currently have 2 sticks each of 512 MB of OCZ DDR400 Dual Channel RAM. I was wondering if i could add a one stick that has 1GB with the two 512 sticks??? considering i have enough slots available that is. Any way to check out exactly the name of the RAM i have?Thanks

Eagle

yes you can - take a stick out to check the name, even if not identified readily by sticker or somesuch the chips will have brand and ID - then google is your friend. You do not have to match it though unless the board is going to be uber fussy and you are overclocking

If the two 512 are running in the identical colored slots (black or blue) to run dual channel and you add the 1GB in the other color channel (black or blue) you will lose dual channel mode. The channels have to have the same amount of ram in them or board will run single channel mode.

Last edited:
Also, you might want to let us know what type of processor you are running. If it's an AMD64, dual channel makes little to no difference.

I have an AMD 64 Processor... so dual channel means that there are two sets of RAM slots each set as a different color. And lets say the blue set has to have the two 512s... and the two blacks have to have 2 1Gs then i will have a total of 3 Gs.... RAM???

I have OCZ RAM i just ain't sure what the PC3200 or 3400.... but that should be on the sticker right????

You don't really mix speeds. The bios will read the sticks and set itself to the slowest speed so all will be compatible.

As for mixing sticks, yes you can. If you leave the 2 512's where they are and add the 1 gig you may get lucky and the 2x512 will run dual channel, the new stick will run single channel. If you aren't lucky the three sticks will all run single channel. It depends on you bios. Read the manual, if you lost it you can download a copy from your manufacturer.

My new laptop is running a 512 and a 1 gig and the 512 that over laps is running dual channel. The newer the computer the better it will handle dual channel.

If you run different speed or different timings some bioses may have problems getting the settings right. You should put the slowest stick in the "0" slot to get around this.

If your computer is high performance check your manufacturer website for ram compatibility. Some motherboards are finicky about some ram brands.

I figured this much out.

Socket 939 for AMD Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64
A8N-SLI supports AMD 939-pin Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64 processors with 1MB/512KB L2 cache which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features 2000/1600 MT/s HyperTransport Bus and dual-channel un-buffered DDR400 memory support.

So I have 4 slots 2 of them i guess the two blues have 512MB RAM... for a toal of 1 GB. If i put a 1GB stick into one of the two black ones ... will my total RAM be 2 GBs.?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back