DDR Ram vs SDRAM

M

mattg1981

I have 512 MB of SyncDRAM but I heard DDR RAM is twice as fast. Is this true and what are the basic differences between the two? Also .. if it is twice as fast, does anybody know a good online store where you can purchase DDR ram for cheap?

How do you tell?

How do I go about finding out if my motherboard would supported it?

sorry .. real hardware newb here .. dunno how to even find out what my current motherboard is.

I have a Compaq Presario 5330US if that helps at all.

In order to use DDR ram you need to get a new MOBO that supports it. Basically, DDR FSB is 266MHz while SD FSB is 100/133 MHz depends on the model u got. MOBO like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte are relatively cheap in the market now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Pentium IV 1.5GHz
Intel 850GB Chipset
256 RD RAM (PC 800)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 20GB ATA 100 HDD
Gainward 64 MB GeForce2 MX 400 (should be in Musuem in a few months time or maybe now)
52X Creative CD-ROM
8X4X32 Creative CD-RW

Originally posted by xsk8zerox
Well is it supports sdram it wont support ddr. sorry

There are some motherboards which support both. Easiest way is to look at the memory slots. If you have 2 notches inside the slot to locate them memory the its sdram, one and its DDR ram.

another great way to tell if it is DDR or SDR is to plug a DDR clip inside your memory slot... if it works... it is DDR.. if not... you've been jipped and you should than proceed to rant and rave for a few days... bar b q your neighbors cat while yer at it and there you go... voila... you're all set :)

but yeah you can tell I think by the number of nothces.. (I know jackall about that... just trusting my trusty copper here)

also if you are looking for a decent board get Asustek, Abit, gigabyte and MSI to name a few... asus and abit cost a bit more but have a reputation... as for the others they are fine mobo makers also... my friend just set his system up with all the bells and whistles, but 'only' 256 megs of DDR RAM and I have YET to see it glitch... even in the most intense scences of Max Payne, Deus Ex or RtCW... :D joy joy...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back