DDR ram, 2 sticks better than 1?

J

joshuajme

Hi guys, I was just wondering if 2 sticks of 256mb ram are better performance wise than 1 stick of 512? I know about upgradability so don't mention that, just performance wise.

one stick of 512 will perfrom better than 2 sticks of 256

I was looking for a more technical discussion!! Why does 1 perform better than 2 then? Isn't ram a bit like RAID 0 in the fact that 2 sticks can be acessed at the same time?

you are right, but they dont even have to have pairs....

128 x 3 is better than 384 stick... why u ask?

well it is because it can use the bus speed of all three slots at the same time and thus write and read more data quicker

Using 1 512 instead of 2 256s you gain a MINIMAL amount of speed. At todays speeds, you wouldn't even notice it.

A Stick of Crucial 512 is rated at 7.5ns while a stick of 256 is rated at 6ns...more things to throw in

i heard my answer above from a guy from mushkin, i dont think he would lie,... everyone else is just goint to tell you what they use is faster...

:(

Originally posted by UofEEE
A Stick of Crucial 512 is rated at 7.5ns while a stick of 256 is rated at 6ns...more things to throw in
nonsense.. if a 512 is 7.5ns, it is pc2100 (266mhz)... and another 256 is 6ns, it is pc2700 (333mhz)... that has nothing to do with their size at all.

truth is, no matter what configuration you have your memory, it will be the same speed. the only way to increase speed is by messing with the timings and latency in your bios. period.

i have heard that having large sticks (512mb, 1gb) may increase your chance of incompatibility.

the only time having, say, 2x256 will be faster than having 1x512 is if you have an nforce board which uses "Twin-Bank Architecture" which can actively double your memory bandwidth (almost). no other chipsets have any feature that resembles this, though.

If it helps the ram in question is DDR400 (PC3200), personnally I agree with 2 sticks being faster than 1. But I was still looking for more technical arguments. Does the cpu access the slots sequentially or at the same time?

Initial tests show DDR400 (Not being an offical spec yet) being slower than DDR333...

that would have to come from some1 who just bought a kt333 board :) and that aint even what this post is about, read and then reply.

I bow to you Mr. 57 posts....obviously I can't read. I was just saying that one site had reviewed the new ASUS KT400 based board with some DDR 400 ram and it didn't perform as well as the DDR333 based system. I upgraded from a Athon 800 so this system IS fast for me, it will tide me over till hammer comes. So watch what you say bub. It was a matter of fact statement. I wasn't answering you question.

Originally posted by joshuajme
the cpu access the slots sequentially or at the same time?
sequentially, always... unless, like i said, you have an nForce board with Twin-Bank Architecture.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back