DDR or RD Ram

M

MMF

I wanna buy PCs and i don't know which ram is better RD or DDR please tell me about the specifications, use and performance.

the difference between rd ram and ddr sdram is ddr is just faster sd ram... rd ram was specifically made for the pentium 4 processors... rd ram is 800 mhz and ddr ram is around 300 mhz.. so rd ram is much faster and the better choice if you have a P4. if you dont have a P4 then choose DDR 3000 ram...

-Tank

speed is not what you should look at when buying the 2 different types of ram...

what is generally looked at is the transfer bandwidth the 2 offer...

yes RDRAM does have a slight advantage over DDR when it comes to peak theoretical bandwidth but DDR is cheaper and runs on both platforms... though it is not yet optimized for the intel platform... look at any review on ddr on intel v/s ddr on socket A boards and you will see a difference... its not THAT great and will probably be noticed in benches more than anything else..

RDRAM is more expensive and there needs to be a RIMM in each slot... ie if you have 3 memory banks they need to be filled... but you can buy little emmulator thingers... placebo's even that are put in the slots and the computer thinks that the rimms are all filled...

right now if you want to build the fastest machine with products available RIGHT NOW from the market.. it would be a p4 2.8ghz cpu with 1066mhz RDRAM...

but the new boards and technology favor DDR... the life span of RDRAM may be numbered as per what the industry analysts are saying... amd already is with DDR only while intel is moving there with its support of DDR-II and so on so forth...

Originally posted by EMPIRETANK
the difference between rd ram and ddr sdram is ddr is just faster sd ram... rd ram was specifically made for the pentium 4 processors... rd ram is 800 mhz and ddr ram is around 300 mhz.. so rd ram is much faster and the better choice if you have a P4. if you dont have a P4 then choose DDR 3000 ram...

-Tank

well you need to have the appropriate mother boards to run the memory @ its designed peak speed... fastest RDRAM is 1066 mhz and fastest DDR is 433 mhz...

bandwidth wise they are very close...

RD RAM is a lot more expensive, and to run it with a P4 say, you have to configure everything correctly. Better off getting an AMD with a nice amount of DDR ram. If you want more speed then usual DDR Ram, getting a KT333 board with DDR PC2700 ram will be very nice. ( I'm right, correct :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back