DDR Memory

chris

Free to Fly
Ok first post here..

With DDR memory, whats the difference between Major and Major Branded? I am looking into DDR memory for my computer as I need to replace the motherboard in the one I have.

If anyone can enlighten me it would be appreciated. =)

To the best of my knowledge, major means major in terms of standard. This phrase is commonly used in old sd ram at 100 and 133mhz, because it fits in most pc's.

Whereas major branded means it has a name on the ram chips, like samung, rather than being blank with an unkown source of origin (branded being much better quality as you know your getting what you paid for).

I hope to god I'm right and havnt just made a fool of myself :)

If your looking at DDR note the different speeds your new mobo can handle and buy the highest speed for future proofing. There are mainly 3 different typs of DDR going round at the moment. PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 (slowest to fastest). Its probably best to go for PC2700 at the moment because you can only find 256mb sticks of PC3200 and you can overclock most PC2700 ram to the same speed. Happy hunting.

thanks alot for your help. the mobo i've got my eye on can handle up to pc2700, and a cpu up to athlonXP 2000+ so its not all bad. adding to it a pc2700 256ddr chip it shouldnt end up costing me more than about £110 =)

its an MSI 745 Ultra Skt A Duron/Athlon XP upto 2000+ and its £54 inc. VAT

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back