dd-wrt or tomato firmware

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i have a linksys WRT54GS router and have often heard about the above firmwares and how they give better functionality and what not - just wondering if there is anyone using or have used the firmwares.

is it worth messing about with them ?

I use DDWRT and have been using it for years. Most of the guys that are technically inclined that I know use it. It's just much more robust than the linksys firmware.

just concered that either of them might contain back doors or something, have d/l tomato as all the pages i have been reading so thats the one to go for.

mind you not many of them have screen shots so i can compare them

I have been using dd-wrt for many years and without any problems

i just installed tomato - looks quite tidy, i like the bit where it shows what wireless networks are near me from withing the router pages, and im not even using wireless :D

tomato is the better of the two. Its also lighter on resources :)

eh lighter on resources doesn't really matter when you are running it on a router. If it is compatible, it's compatible. dd-wrt also supports more routers. I have it running on a Belkin router and I love it. From the screenshots I've seen of tomato, they seem to support the same features, with DD-WRT supporting more depending on which version your router can use.

so its totaly safe then - i do a lot of online banking and stuff - and am a little paranoid :)

so its totaly safe then - i do a lot of online banking and stuff - and am a little paranoid :)

I spend more money online than on brick and mortar stores, so I believe so.

I prefer OpenWRT, then again that does not come with a web interface that allows you to set it up.

As for DD-WRT and Tomato, both are open-source projects, you are free to take a look at the source, and compile your own binaries. They are however trusted projects in the open source community, and thinking about it, can probably be trusted more than a corporation, since development is entirely public.

I have one of the dreaded linksys wrt54g with the limited memory so I can only run dd-wrt micro and it runs great. wish I had a different amount of memory but oh well.

mine tells me i only have 30meg of ram on it (using tomato) and find it to be rather good

Each firmware seems to have its strengths. Here's how I made my choice.

I've used DD-WRT for 1+years on 2 WRT54GLs ... v23 sp1 and sp2. Both have worked great. As I was contemplating the move to upcoming DD-WRT v24 I decided to eval other firmware (both OpenWRT/XWRT and Tomato)

I liked the easy firewall config with X-WRT but chose Tomato v1.13 because of signal reliability.

DD-WRT and X-WRT offer features that Tomato does not, however, I've had far fewer disconnects with Tomato.

When using DD-WRT, a nearby microwave oven regularly knocked out my wifi connection. Very replicatable.

When using Tomato, same microwave does not faze my wifi at all.

At the end of the day, I need reliable connection more than the bells and whistles.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back