DCOM Error

vacantmind

OSNN Junior Addict
So I chose here because it's pretty much about windows. I'm going to copy and paste what I posted at another site.

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

Type: Error
Source: DCOM
EventID: 10005

I get that A LOT. The majority of my errors are from this and I want to know what it is and how to fix it. I looked ALL over hte place, microsoft seemed to think it had something to do with IIS but I don't have that installed. I tried translated sites from google, russian to english, and all I got out of it was that I think he did a windows restore.

I have all my patches right now, Windows XP SP1. I'm not running too many applications, just AIM and Opera pretty much, I have my antivirus (AVG) disabled right now and my firewall (kerio).

Even as I type this more errors have popped up on the event viewer.

Someone pleaseee help

Go to start...run... services.msc

Is the DCOM service in there disabled?
I have mine set at automatic, which is how is comes basically.

Weird.. I only got 4 things that begin with D..

DHCP client..
Distributed Link Tracking CLient
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS client

Try manually running:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch

Dont worry about DCOM errors, they are benign and DCOM is a security threat which should be disabled.

The service you are looking for is COM+, which should be disabled. Take a looksee here http://grc.com/dcom/

COM+ System Application is on manual

and

COM+ Event System is on automatic

disable them both, dont worry about the event viewer errors, it isn't hurting anything. DCOM is BAD.

alright i did, i'll try a restart later to see if it messes anything up and if it fixes my problem. thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back