Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hello

This is the first time I experience this problem. Luckly its not on my pc.

In my voc class we have people mostly in the voc school itself bring computers to our class to fix. There is this Dell laptop that we had few a week or so that needed a new HD.

Well I put xp in and did a boot from it and it did its thing and when it restarts to do the actually install with the graphical interface it just pops an error up about the data error and it does that with 3 xp cds.

I was wondering if most likely its the cd drive or something else? Also what is the best diagnostic program that runs off a floppy or cd so I can test the cd drive?

I think its the drive most likely but I wanna make sure.

Thanks

Sounds like the cd drive, you dont have another you can pop in and try ?

A CRC error is usually from reading the HD not from the CD.

Go into bios and turn SMART on to monitor the drive. Though since you already changed out the drive it's more likely either the HD cable or MB.

Take the new HD and connect it as slave to a desktop PC. They have adapter cables for $5. The school should have one. Then run the manufacturers diagnostics on the HD.

If the drive works ok on another PC the MB is probably gone. Try a new cable if you have one to fit the Dell just to make sure.

A CRC error is usually from reading the HD not from the CD.
I have seen this hundreds of times and none was from a hard drive. Most often it was the lens is dirty or something else is wrong with the CD/DVD drive or the media was faulty.
The most common times you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.
SOURCE

While it is possible to have this from a hard drive it is incorrect to say it is usually from a hard drive.

it is just from any data stream.... the first time I hgad one it was from a cassette tape drive.... or was that a reel to reel? I forget, the paper tape I used was most reliable though! and the card decks were fine if unshuffled....

This is all true too BTW....

I've seen this many times too, never from a hard disk, and most often from a CD-R that has degraded with time.

Thats why I asked him to switch out the cd unit most of the newer dell's all use the same drive and can be removed very easily.

Its a ispiron 2650 and we don't have a way to check it on a regular pc.

It it a cd problem for sure because when I look at the details about the error it says it cant read from so and so file from the d: drive which is the cd drive.

I will try a few things and see what happends. Might have to get a new cd drive.

edit: Well I finally got a different cd and this would be the 4th one and so far it has gotten way farther then the other ones. I did a cd check on the others and they all had a crap load of errors. We are thinking its because they get handled around so much with fixing computers that they are bad even tho they dont have any scratches.

will get back if anything bad happends and/or if it works

Last edited:
edit: Well I finally got a different cd and this would be the 4th one and so far it has gotten way farther then the other ones. I did a cd check on the others and they all had a crap load of errors. We are thinking its because they get handled around so much with fixing computers that they are bad even tho they dont have any scratches.

will get back if anything bad happends and/or if it works

I would goto bestbuy, circuit city, EB Games, electronics boutiqe and get a CD/DVD ROM re-surfacer...

CDs dont just "GO BAD" something is making it hard to read, scratches dont mean it is bad either.. I have had good luck with these before...

I will see if I can find one on google.

EDIT: Found one: http://digitalinnovations.com/products.php?id=36&checkCat=5
This is the motorized version you can buy the hand crank version at many EBGames or electronics boutique...

ENJOY!

Lastly, a CRC error can result anytime the data transmitted is not the same for whatever reason at the recieving end...
mostly common errors result from file corruptions... or errors associated with a bad transmission across a network
So it could be from CD/DVD ROM, HDD, or even physical memory (although uncommon unless going bad)

For more detailed information: see HERE

Mike A!

Last edited:
Alright thanks

I will look into it

The cd I used ended up having a few files that couldn't be found on the cd on the laptop when installing but if i took it out and put the xp cd on a regular pc it finds it when i do a search.

So something is up but it installed other then a few files it couldn't find.

Gonna finish it on monday and make sure it runs ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back