Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

• Thread starter mazspeed@redshi
  • Start date
M

mazspeed@redshi

Ok, I have a large problem. I'm trying to go from one hard drive to the other, transfering info and files. I keep getting this error. I have all of this on one computer with 3 drives. One SUSI with my OS, and 2 normal blank harddrives. What I'm doing is trying to just back stuff up 2 times with 2 different harddrives. neither have an OS on them. This also happened with another SUSI that I had hooked up and I took it out thinking the drive might be getting bad, now it's happining on 2 new drives. Win XP Pro is the OS.

Thanks in advance
Mike

I would maybe check cables or try new ones as that is a cheap(ish) quick test.

I've had the exact same problem -- well, almost.

A long time ago, I was burning CDs to backup my harddrive before I formatted. I went along, formatted, and the problems came when I tried to get my data off of the CD-RWs. Files would copy fine for a while (mp3 files, for example, lots of them), then suddenly I would get that same error you mentioned. I would try to copy the file that I got the error on and it just gave me the error again. I would copy all the files after that, and it would work for a while, until I came to another file where I got that error. I could actually play the entire MP3 from the CD no problem, but I just couldn't copy it. I eventually figured out it was due to the fact taht I did "quick erase" on my CD-RWs before burning, instead of doing "full erase".

So, maybe you should try doing a "full format" instead of a "quick format" if you did anything like that? Maybe there are errors on your harddrive? Have you tried scandisk? I'm really taking guesses here...

No that sounds right. I did a quick format. Let me try that and see if the long format works better. I never thought of that. Thanks so much :)

Mike

Nope, that was not it :-(
Still not sure what's going on. Ill try the new cables and see if that doesn't work. Ill let you know

Thanks
Mike

Changed cables a few times and I still get it. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Mike

hmm... did you try scanning w/ scandisk? it seems that somehow your data is changing/corrupting while copying the files from your 1 drive to the others and thus the CRC error. If any of the drives had bad sectors that you didn't know about that could be a cause.

another wild shot in the dark is maybe EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interfernce) ... do you have anything like a TV or other electronics close to your computer case?

Getting data back from cd's (I have experienced such a problem when it would not read them), I used CD Check from
http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

I got a lot of usable data back, I lost a lot but at least got half (350 megs ) of data I burned back.

Ill try the scan disk now. I have not lost any data, and I don't have any other electrical items near the system. It does seem kinda weird though as I can view all the things on the drive, and run apps from them, but cannot transfer them some of them from place to place. I can transfer some items, but others I can't. This has me baffled.

Mike

error, it can't complete scandisk. Brand new harddrive too.
I know the hard drive is good.

Originally posted by mazspeed@redshi
Ok, I have a large problem. I'm trying to go from one hard drive to the other, transfering info and files. I keep getting this error. I have all of this on one computer with 3 drives. One SUSI with my OS, and 2 normal blank harddrives. What I'm doing is trying to just back stuff up 2 times with 2 different harddrives. neither have an OS on them. This also happened with another SUSI that I had hooked up and I took it out thinking the drive might be getting bad, now it's happining on 2 new drives. Win XP Pro is the OS.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Are all the hard drives formatted with the same file system?

I can't. That's another problem I have is that when I try and reinstall windows, it's dies at the black setup screen after it's first reboot. It for some reason has always done this, not sure why.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back