Dark games

W

waddy

Counter strike and other games seem dark to me, i can hardly see the CT's.

What setting do i need to change on an ATi card to make the games brighter?

Btw: Brightness is turned right up in options for CS.

ta.

Have a try of Power Strip. The unregistered version has a minor nag screen. Lots of options & you can change the brightness for individual games & keep the settings.

game gamma... turn it up some... that should help...

the games should not be that dark per se... monitor is probably a little dark... but anyways...

here is an example with low gamma

hopefuly the previous screenie showed you where in the control panel to go to change the settings :D

I am including an example with high gamma for kicks... notice the extra definition in the wall paper... btw it is hell on my eyes lol...

and you can set different colors separately...

btw... do please try to go to the 3d tab... click on custom settings... click on smartshader effects and go freaky :D

some of them are pretty kewl

-edit-

hmm... sry was using paint and it doesn't seem to show the various effects... it was a lot brighter than what you see in the screen cap.. try it yourself and you will know what I am talking about :)

Cheers guys, i turned it up in Control panel, seems better for CS but to high for desktop.

Tried Powerstrip like Hipster Doofus suggested, what a cool app.

It allows me to have a normal gamma for desktop and and a brighter gamma for CS, woot!

Sorted, thanks.

Is it an ATi thing the darkness in games?

I never had this on my nVidia card.

Originally posted by waddy
Cheers guys, i turned it up in Control panel, seems better for CS but to high for desktop.

Tried Powerstrip like Hipster Doofus suggested, what a cool app.

It allows me to have a normal gamma for desktop and and a brighter gamma for CS, woot!

Sorted, thanks.

Is it an ATi thing the darkness in games?

I never had this on my nVidia card.

nvidia has digital vibrance which may allow for different settings and what not... I personally do not have a problem with darkness in games...

I think you might be able to set brightness application specific...

Waddy

Check under color management to see if there is a profile installed for your monitor. Each monitor (type) is different so the video card needs a profile to work with. Check the manufacturer web site for updated profile files.

The spread between light and dark on the screen is non-linear and varies by monitor brand. The gamma setting adjusts the amount of non-linearity applied for a given monitor. Most games (unfortunately not all) also have an internal brightness or gamma setting.

Once you have a profile installed (or even if you don't have one) and set the vertical rate you want you need to adjust brightness, contrast, gamma and any in game settings available. This is an iterative process and will take several passes. You should be able to get desktop and game brightness balanced. Contrast also contributes to "darkness". I leave the video card brighness and contrast settings at factory and adjust the controls on the monitor. My samsung 753DF and 9500 Pro play really well together. Tribes 2, the darkest game I've ever had comes out excellent. Better than with any of the Nvidia cards did.

One problem that could crop up is vertical rate. Faster rates make the monitor look brighter (the phosphors get excited more often). If your desktop is at 85 and you have a game that is stuck at 60Hz the game could appear too dark. You can try dropping back to 75Hz on the desktop and balancing for that vertical freq.

There is a video adjustment tool (lines, color bars, grayscale, etc) that makes the balancing easier but I can't find it on my HD right now. I'll add an update when I stumble across it.

Found it. Called montest.exe its for graphics artists and such.

www.passmark.com

Shareware, 30 day free eval. 657k file size. If you can't get it from the site let me know.

My vid quality is definitely better since I wnet throught the adjustment tweaks.

cool, nice app thanks.

they have some damn handy tools on that site.

the profile tip worked real good for Call of Duty

:)

sorted

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back