Damn Comcast Part 2

American Zombie said:
Click on the tab for signal levels then use this guide to make sure you do not have a problem you would need a tech out to fix.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3412

My upstream power is 61 which I guess is to high.

I have been getting page load errors and slow speeds. Must have to do with the upstream power.

I have the spiltter that comcast gave me for cable internet but we need all the tvs so I have the same splitter then have a cable from that splitter to the one from comcast and then the cable running from that splitter to the modem. I have a feeling its affecting it but I can't do anything about it since the splitter they gave us only has 2 outs :dead:

Went back to having it connect right to the mail splitter and its alot better now. Read up that its better not to have it like I did :p.

Maybe you found the root of the problem. :)

The connection to modem should be unfiltered but all connections to TV's should have a filter on them. Mine has two connections coming out of the box outside with the unfiltered one going to modem and filtered one going to TV's.

American Zombie said:
Maybe you found the root of the problem. :)

The connection to modem should be unfiltered but all connections to TV's should have a filter on them. Mine has two connections coming out of the box outside with the unfiltered one going to modem and filtered one going to TV's.

:)

So what do I do now? Call comcast and ask them to set it up or what?

The thing is I didn't have any problems with load times or anything before?

I am really confused here... COMCAST has DSL as well as cable now?

If so, I did not realize that

The splitter might be the problem cable goes in home and most times split one time to a tv then to modem , now if you split the cable again you have taken your signals below spec and thats a problem. Try to hook your modem to the cable without splitting, and cable companies use filters to stop people with internet from getting free tv if they only have internet package , the signal for the tv is filtered out.

Last edited:
Kermit_The_Frog said:
The splitter might be the problem cable goes in home and most times split one time to a tv then to modem , now if you split the cable again you have taken your signals below spec and thats a problem. Try to hook your modem to the cable without splitting, and cable companies use filters to stop people with internet from getting free tv if they only have internet package , the signal for the tv is filtered out.

Well I have it back to where its with the splitter with the TVs and it still isn't right.

I know splitting it again would lower it but I wasn't thinkin untill after I did it lol.

Ummmm...so you want me to just hook it up to the main line that comes into the house then? I can't since it doesn't reach to my room.

Ok and I guess there is no way to have a computer down there temp wise, just to test.. ? But I ask myself if this worked before or is it that you are moving stuff around?

Well you can either see if comcast can rewire it for you, run a really long cat cable or set up a wireless network.

Here if you need a rewire job its the cost of an installation , if it was installed by a tech and is now not working they will rewire no charge , again only if it is untouched and as was the first time the tech went there.

What splitters you have matters as well.

I would get some RG-6 cable at someplace like Home Depot then run another line straight from box outside to cable modem so it does not have a splitter on it.

The filter the tech put on the TV side he said was to prevent them from getting interference.

I got the self install kit and the kit was just a damn modem,network card and some cable.

I called them during lunch and the lady had that ****ty snobby voice and I told her what I have done and what happend before. All she told me to do was unplug the modem and then restart the computer and then plug the modem back in. I did it knowin it wouldn't work and she was like well we will send a tech out tomorrow between 8 and 12.

She thinks something is bad and most likely there fault but wasn't sure. I was like uhhh ok?

Since I did the self install kit will I have to pay for any rewiring? I mean all I did was take the new cable I got and hook it to the splitter and then run it like 30ft across the basement to the modem.

Kermit: It was working for 2 weeks and then one morning I woke up and it wasn't working. Not sure if you read the other thread before the site took a poo but there was more info about what happend.

American Zombie said:
What splitters you have matters as well.

I would get some RG-6 cable at someplace like Home Depot then run another line straight from box outside to cable modem so it does not have a splitter on it.

The filter the tech put on the TV side he said was to prevent them from getting interference.

I am just gonna have tech support come out. She told me it sounds like a problem on there end but wasn't sure.

The dude I talked to last time was alot better then this lady. She seemed really really snotty

Woot!!!

Tech guy came and tried this and that. He said he had the same problem at home last night and it ended up being the wire outside. Checked it and sure enough it was the line outside.

So I was right I knew it had to do with comcast.

I feel like a new man :p

Thanks to everybody for there help :).

Edit: One problem though...modem only works with USB. I can't get it to connect with ethernet cable. Any ideas?

Last edited:
you could reinstall network drivers, and it should work (if your port isn't dead)

mooo said:
you could reinstall network drivers, and it should work (if your port isn't dead)

Done that

Tried a different cable also and still nothin :(

TittleBitties said:
Edit: One problem though...modem only works with USB. I can't get it to connect with ethernet cable. Any ideas?

Did you powercycle modem after changing from USB to network card?

When changing from USB to network card or vice-versa you have to powercycle modem so it releases the MAC address of network card or USB connection. Reason is Comcast only allows modems to acquire one USB or network card MAC address so if you change your connection type you must powercycle modem (reboot it).

American Zombie said:
Did you powercycle modem after changing from USB to network card?

When changing from USB to network card or vice-versa you have to powercycle modem so it releases the MAC address of network card or USB connection. Reason is Comcast only allows modems to acquire one USB or network card MAC address so if you change your connection type you must powercycle modem (reboot it).
Yes I did that too

Found out the problem though :). Both of the cables I had were bad and I found another one under my bed since thats where some of my boxes of computer stuff are and it worked!

Can tell a difference now and now I am back to normal.

Thanks guys!

Early present coming...if you didn't already receive one yet

How are your speeds now?

I find the Speakeasy tests fairly accurate just choose the location closest to you.

Here are my latest:

Download Speed: 7292 kbps (911.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate)

Wish my connection was back online. Now the both the phone and DSL dont work. Phones say check Phone Cord, all connections to the phone box are good so It's the phone company's side. Tech is comming Saturday and hopefully I will get both back.

Sigh..

American Zombie said:
How are your speeds now?

I find the Speakeasy tests fairly accurate just choose the location closest to you.

Here are my latest:

Download Speed: 7292 kbps (911.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate)
Download Speed: 3423 kbps (427.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 357 kbps (44.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I swear my speed use to be faster but maybe I am mistaken?

Admirl: That sucks :(...I was dying without my internet :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back