Dammit shutdown!!!!

S

silent_bob

Guys,

I woz wonderin how long it takes ur computer to shutdown cos ive clocked mine at 2 minutes odd!!!!

Is this typical or am i just unfortunate <awww........>

That does seem like a long time.....mine takes about 15 seconds from pressing the button to complete shutdown.....it used to be virtually instantaneous in win 98....though winXP (as i understand it) prevents you accidentally losing data by stalling that, as well as "saving settings" etc etc.....

I spose as long as it shuts down properly, that is more important than how long it takes....im sure the forum guys here will be able to tell you if 2 minutes is excessive and give you a few pointers...

go into your registry, goto hkey local machine/system/controlset001/control

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a value of 3000 or so.

that might help a little

also if you use a nvidia board goto your services screen and disable the nvidia driver helper service.

Also if you are using NAV 2002 disable the scan floppy on shutdown/reboot, its not really important.

I haven't shut my computer down for last 2wk 6days 13hrs 5mins 22secs :p

normally my computer crashes if it goes down... and hardly ever does that :p

can't actually remember last time i shut my computer down :p

MdSalih

Mine was taking about a minute, I disable NVIDA, now it's down in 15 seconds. :)

I shut mine down if I'm going to be gone for a couple hours.. always shutdownat bed time

Originally posted by silent_bob
wots NVIDA and how do u disable it?

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service. This service is added during installation of NVIDIA Detonator Drivers, although can be set to Disable without issue. Default is manual.

All Programs / Administrative Tools / Services

I'm using WinXP home and after tweaking the hell out of it, I'm shutting down in 5 - 6 seconds!!

Steely

Hey Electronic Punk....where is that option to disable NAV 2002 from checking floppies at shutdown. I have been through the options and I cant find it.

My system takes about 1 minute to shutdown and I have disabled all the items mentioned above except NAV2002 scanning floppies.

I am running an ELSA (NVidia) GeForce2 GTS Video Card with the 27.42 beta drivers (they seem to be the only ones I have found not to crash my system). But my system still takes forever to shut down. I cant seem to find the cause.

Any help is greatly appreciated from anyone....:confused:

To disable de NAV2002 floppy scan go to options. In da system box expand da Auto-protect slide, select options and click on advanced. The floppy option is the bottom one on da list.

Is something I am going to play with when I get back up to Sheffield.

I have told me housemate to map all my shared harddrives in my flat to a drive on the server, I now have read/write access on my ftp, so I am backing it up from about 200 miles away so I can format as soon as I get back.

Just got myself an AthlonXP and am itching to try it :D
If I put it in my dads, I am sure I won't get it back :p

Be CAREFUL installing that XP,Electronic Punk.The cores on those can be crushed sooo easily.
What speed XP chip did you get?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back