D-Sub Power Rating

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hey guys, I guess this would be the right catagory since it IS hardware related -

Does anyone know if Dsub connectors could be used for AC application, even though their primary use involves low power dc operations? If so, about how many amps would each pin support?

Thanks for any info... I already spent some time looking on google and found nadda, so I'm hoping someone here knows this stuff.

-tc

They are sized for 22 AWG which puts them at 5 amps max. The voltage isolation rating is 600V (don't use them at that, it is max withstanding) which means they are ok for 115Vac.

If you use them for 115Vac limit it to 1-2 amps and SCREW THEM TOGETHER! Do not just push them in. They will work loose and be a fire hazard.

Thinking about it...

You mean inside equipment after a fuse and switch right?

Not for house power. The only thing legally rated for 115Vac outside of equipment is the standard outlets. Anything else will void your insurance and open you up for liability and property damage lawsuits.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response :)

It's for my christmas light project... I needed a connector array that would cover 60 channels of 125vAC / 3 amps max. I thought of Dsub connectors might be a good idea- 1-2 amps though may be too much of a risk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back