D link Network card install prob WIN98 SE

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

I keep getting a Missing files error when trying to install my Network card on win98SE, missing file errors, then when i restart Windows i get Missing Files errors on startup.

EG

DFS.vxd
Vredir.vxd

and some others have now dissapered from my system. Is there a Service pak for win98SE i have forgotten to DL?:confused:

Uninstall the drivers
Shut down computer
remove card
Restart computer
When Windows is loaded, shut it down again
Re-install card
Start computer.

This should reset any misinstalled drivers. Also it is handy to have drivers ready from the manufacturer and not the ones baked into Windows

Tried that, Its a windows problem

Im trying to install the DLINK drivers, but i get Missing File problems, then windows asks me to Locate them ETC.

This is on a CLEAN win98SE install.

Have you tried downloading up to date files/drivers from the manufactures web site? Try use them instead because newer drives tend to have these problems fixed.

you can either uninstall/reinstall client for microsoft networks, or as i do at work on a regular basis for none network home pc's with that problem.

open regedit, ctrl F for the find menu, then search dfs.vxd
delete the entry from the registry.

then repeat for Vredir.vxd

also delete it.
reboot and the problems gone. internet will still work. you will find the same read me on microsoft if you search hard enough.

(always backup the registry 1st blah... blah.....)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back