• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

D-Link DI704-P and XP Pro Problems

V

Valek

Guest
#1
Wow, okay, where to start...I guess the beginning would be a good place. Forgive me everybody, this is kinda long but I want to give you as much background as I can possibly remember. Sadly I think I know the answers I am going to get, but we'll try anyway. A week ago I brought home a D-Link router to replace the hub and two purchesed IP addresses supplied by Road Runner. I followed the instructions in their little quick start guide to gain access to the router and to configure it.

After about thirty attempts at typing http://192.168.0.1 into IE6 I was FINALLY able to gain access to the router and configure it to assign dynamic IP addresses to my two computers. Both computers were then able to go out online with no apparent problems.

2 days later I started having connectivity issues where I would suddenly lose my internet connection. I contacted D-Link's tech support and was told to assign my XP machine a static IP address and also to make a change in the router config to "renew IP address forever", so I did. I rebooted the XP box adn then was back out online.

Yesterday I suddenly lost connectivity and could not, no matter how I tried, get into the router config. I changed my IP from static back to Dynamic and upon a fresh reboot I could go into the command prompt and through IPCONFIG /ALL I could see where I had been assigned a valid IP address, correct subnet mask and DG. I could ping the router but could not do any DNS pings. But I could not go online or get into the router config come hell or high water. Neither computer could go online. If I released the IP address I could forget renewing it because It couldn't contact the DHCP server...but let me reboot and there was an IP address again. I reset the router and the cable modem so many times I lost count.

2 1/2 hours on the phone with someone I could barely understand and still no connectivity. He told me I had a bad router. I asked him if any services in Windows XP Pro would interfere in any way with XP being able to connect to the router. He told me unequivocally "NO".

You see, this is the part where I get to hang my head in shame...I am curious and so I installed some of the addtional features in the add remove programs Windows components section like IIS, SNMP, RIP v.1 yesterday morning prior to my really bad lock out. I had also just finished downloading and installing the critical updates and XP updates from Microsoft as well. So, I am not sure if any of those could be a part of the problem. I did go back and uninstall the additional Windows components I installed and checked in the services to see if there were any that were still running that may have affected it but nothing I found made me even slightly curious.

I resigned myself to taking the router back and exchanging it. When I got to my CCNA class and told my instructor about it he suggested I bring it in and we try it on one of the lab computers running Win2K Pro. Inside of 30 seconds he was connected and surfing the Web. So no bad Router. He told me to bring it home and connect to the interface through my 98 Box and not to worry about why I can't connect through XP.

Well, I did bring it home and after resetting the router, and cable modem, I hooked my 98 Box into port 1 and was into the configuration menu in no time and had both computers out online. I tried for grins and giggles to connect to it through my XP machine and still no go.

I know that by my having downloaded all the updates and Installing the additional features I will probably never know the answer to this riddle, but maybe someone else has experienced (pardon the pun) something similar. I have downloaded all critical updates and all Windows XP updates so it could be any one of them. I've included my services and their status if that would be of any help. They are:



Name Status Startup Type Log On As

Alerter Manual Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Service Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
ASP.NET State Service Manual .\ASPNET
Automatic Updates Manual Local System
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Manual Local System
ClipBook Manual Local System
COM+ Event System Started Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Manual Local System
Cryptographic Services Started Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Started Automatic Local System
Diskeeper Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Manual Network Service
DNS Client Started Automatic Network Service
Error Reporting Service Disabled Local System
Event Log Started Automatic Local System
Fast User Switching Compatibility Disabled Local System
Help and Support Started Automatic Local System
Human Interface Device Access Disabled Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Manual Local System
Indexing Service Disabled Local System
InteractiveLogon Automatic Local System
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Manual Local System
IPSEC Services Manual Local System
Leadtek Driver Helper Service Started Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Started Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
Machine Debug Manager Disabled Local System
Messenger Started Automatic Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
Net Logon Manual Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Manual Local System
Network Connections Started Manual Local System
Network DDE Disabled Local System
Network DDE DSDM Disabled Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Started Manual Local System
Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service Started Automatic Local System
Norton Unerase Protection Started Automatic Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
pcAnywhere Host Service Manual Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual Network Service
Plug and Play Started Automatic Local System
Portable Media Serial Number Disabled Local System
Print Spooler Started Automatic Local System
Protected Storage Started Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Disabled Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started Automatic Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Remote Registry Disabled Local Service
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Disabled Local System
ScriptBlocking Service Automatic Local System
Secondary Logon Manual Local System
Security Accounts Manager Disabled Local System
Shell Hardware Detection Started Automatic Local System
Smart Card Disabled Local Service
Smart Card Helper Disabled Local Service
Speed Disk service Disabled Local System
SSDP Discovery Service Started Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Started Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Automatic Local System
Task Scheduler Started Automatic Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Manual Local Service
Telephony Manual Local System
Telnet Manual Local System
Terminal Services Disabled Local System
Themes Started Automatic Local System
Uninterruptible Power Supply Manual Local Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host Manual Local Service
Upload Manager Manual Local System
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Disabled Local Service
Windows Audio Started Automatic Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Started Automatic Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions Manual Local System
Windows Time Started Automatic Local System
Wireless Zero Configuration Manual Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Started Automatic Local System


I'm totally lost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Val

p.s.

sorry about hte way the formatting of the services turned out in the post. It looked much nicer in the text file I copied it from.
 
#3
This looks like a nice mess. I'd try to run a System Restore to before the problems occurred and the updates were installed. Restore points should have been created automaticaly.
 
E

elderec

Guest
#5
Can you ping 192.168.0.1? If you can do you get any packet loss? DI-704 is 10/100... have you tried setting you network speed manually? Do you have zonealarm or any type of 3rd party firewall software installed? Have you tried updating the drivers for your NIC? Just some thoughts
 

markk2000

OSNN One Post Wonder
#6
Valek said:
Wow, okay, where to start...I guess the beginning would be a good place. Forgive me everybody, this is kinda long but I want to give you as much background as I can possibly remember. Sadly I think I know the answers I am going to get, but we'll try anyway. A week ago I brought home a D-Link router to replace the hub and two purchesed IP addresses supplied by Road Runner. I followed the instructions in their little quick start guide to gain access to the router and to configure it.

After about thirty attempts at typing http://192.168.0.1 into IE6 I was FINALLY able to gain access to the router and configure it to assign dynamic IP addresses to my two computers. Both computers were then able to go out online with no apparent problems.

2 days later I started having connectivity issues where I would suddenly lose my internet connection. I contacted D-Link's tech support and was told to assign my XP machine a static IP address and also to make a change in the router config to "renew IP address forever", so I did. I rebooted the XP box adn then was back out online.

Yesterday I suddenly lost connectivity and could not, no matter how I tried, get into the router config. I changed my IP from static back to Dynamic and upon a fresh reboot I could go into the command prompt and through IPCONFIG /ALL I could see where I had been assigned a valid IP address, correct subnet mask and DG. I could ping the router but could not do any DNS pings. But I could not go online or get into the router config come hell or high water. Neither computer could go online. If I released the IP address I could forget renewing it because It couldn't contact the DHCP server...but let me reboot and there was an IP address again. I reset the router and the cable modem so many times I lost count.

2 1/2 hours on the phone with someone I could barely understand and still no connectivity. He told me I had a bad router. I asked him if any services in Windows XP Pro would interfere in any way with XP being able to connect to the router. He told me unequivocally "NO".

You see, this is the part where I get to hang my head in shame...I am curious and so I installed some of the addtional features in the add remove programs Windows components section like IIS, SNMP, RIP v.1 yesterday morning prior to my really bad lock out. I had also just finished downloading and installing the critical updates and XP updates from Microsoft as well. So, I am not sure if any of those could be a part of the problem. I did go back and uninstall the additional Windows components I installed and checked in the services to see if there were any that were still running that may have affected it but nothing I found made me even slightly curious.

I resigned myself to taking the router back and exchanging it. When I got to my CCNA class and told my instructor about it he suggested I bring it in and we try it on one of the lab computers running Win2K Pro. Inside of 30 seconds he was connected and surfing the Web. So no bad Router. He told me to bring it home and connect to the interface through my 98 Box and not to worry about why I can't connect through XP.

Well, I did bring it home and after resetting the router, and cable modem, I hooked my 98 Box into port 1 and was into the configuration menu in no time and had both computers out online. I tried for grins and giggles to connect to it through my XP machine and still no go.

I know that by my having downloaded all the updates and Installing the additional features I will probably never know the answer to this riddle, but maybe someone else has experienced (pardon the pun) something similar. I have downloaded all critical updates and all Windows XP updates so it could be any one of them. I've included my services and their status if that would be of any help. They are:



Name Status Startup Type Log On As

Alerter Manual Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Service Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
ASP.NET State Service Manual .\ASPNET
Automatic Updates Manual Local System
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Manual Local System
ClipBook Manual Local System
COM+ Event System Started Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Manual Local System
Cryptographic Services Started Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Started Automatic Local System
Diskeeper Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Started Automatic Local System
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Manual Network Service
DNS Client Started Automatic Network Service
Error Reporting Service Disabled Local System
Event Log Started Automatic Local System
Fast User Switching Compatibility Disabled Local System
Help and Support Started Automatic Local System
Human Interface Device Access Disabled Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Manual Local System
Indexing Service Disabled Local System
InteractiveLogon Automatic Local System
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Manual Local System
IPSEC Services Manual Local System
Leadtek Driver Helper Service Started Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Started Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
Machine Debug Manager Disabled Local System
Messenger Started Automatic Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
Net Logon Manual Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Manual Local System
Network Connections Started Manual Local System
Network DDE Disabled Local System
Network DDE DSDM Disabled Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Started Manual Local System
Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service Started Automatic Local System
Norton Unerase Protection Started Automatic Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
pcAnywhere Host Service Manual Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual Network Service
Plug and Play Started Automatic Local System
Portable Media Serial Number Disabled Local System
Print Spooler Started Automatic Local System
Protected Storage Started Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Disabled Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started Automatic Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Remote Registry Disabled Local Service
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Disabled Local System
ScriptBlocking Service Automatic Local System
Secondary Logon Manual Local System
Security Accounts Manager Disabled Local System
Shell Hardware Detection Started Automatic Local System
Smart Card Disabled Local Service
Smart Card Helper Disabled Local Service
Speed Disk service Disabled Local System
SSDP Discovery Service Started Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Started Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Automatic Local System
Task Scheduler Started Automatic Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Manual Local Service
Telephony Manual Local System
Telnet Manual Local System
Terminal Services Disabled Local System
Themes Started Automatic Local System
Uninterruptible Power Supply Manual Local Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host Manual Local Service
Upload Manager Manual Local System
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Disabled Local Service
Windows Audio Started Automatic Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Started Automatic Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions Manual Local System
Windows Time Started Automatic Local System
Wireless Zero Configuration Manual Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Started Automatic Local System


I'm totally lost. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Val

p.s.

sorry about hte way the formatting of the services turned out in the post. It looked much nicer in the text file I copied it from.
I just had these exact problems with a DI-704 (not P) router and Windows XP Pro. I'm running two PCs on DHCP off the DI-704 to my Comcast cable modem, and found I was getting connectivity drops on only one of the PCs--the one running XP Pro (the other runs on XP Home edition). Eventually the connection would be frozen, and then the other computer could not connect either. But when I gave both PCs static IP addresses, the problem cleared up. I only had one other problem: when I tried to access the DI-704 using 192.168.0.1, the PC using XP Pro had great difficulty loading the page, and often only half-loaded it, while the XP Home computer did just fine. After a couple hours of research, I discovered that when I removed the IPv6 ICF (Microsoft firewall for the new IP addressing) from the XP Pro computer, it could access the DI-704 instantly. Now all's OK.
Chalk it up to Microsoft XP Pro problems/bugs not worked out. By the way, I'm still running SP1 on the XP Pro machine because when I tried to load SP2 it failed totally and I had to back out.
 
#7
markk2000 said:
I just had these exact problems with a DI-704 (not P) router and Windows XP Pro. I'm running two PCs on DHCP off the DI-704 to my Comcast cable modem, and found I was getting connectivity drops on only one of the PCs--the one running XP Pro (the other runs on XP Home edition). Eventually the connection would be frozen, and then the other computer could not connect either. But when I gave both PCs static IP addresses, the problem cleared up. I only had one other problem: when I tried to access the DI-704 using 192.168.0.1, the PC using XP Pro had great difficulty loading the page, and often only half-loaded it, while the XP Home computer did just fine. After a couple hours of research, I discovered that when I removed the IPv6 ICF (Microsoft firewall for the new IP addressing) from the XP Pro computer, it could access the DI-704 instantly. Now all's OK.
Chalk it up to Microsoft XP Pro problems/bugs not worked out. By the way, I'm still running SP1 on the XP Pro machine because when I tried to load SP2 it failed totally and I had to back out.
You do realize that this thread is abour 2.5 years dead? ;)

But yeah, I've had a DI704P (still have it, but it finally gave up and died) and it's a real heap of crap of a router. The web interface constantly dies and requires a router reboot to work again. Maybe. It started dropping packets at random and locking up. I had it replaced and upgraded several times, so it wasn't just that particular router. POS router. ;)
 

broccolib

OSNN One Post Wonder
#8
Zedric said:
You do realize that this thread is abour 2.5 years dead? ;)

But yeah, I've had a DI704P (still have it, but it finally gave up and died) and it's a real heap of crap of a router. The web interface constantly dies and requires a router reboot to work again. Maybe. It started dropping packets at random and locking up. I had it replaced and upgraded several times, so it wasn't just that particular router. POS router. ;)

I just got a DI-524 router and was having the same problem: After about 3 hours I would loose my ability to hit sites. It appeared to be a DNS problem. D-Link Tech Support first said it was "Definitely" (I don't think so) SP2 and that I needed a static IP and DNS which we set. Rebooting it worked fine but 3 hours later: same thing.

Upon recall to D-Link we reset the IP to Automatically acquire but left the DNS at static and used 4.2.2.2. (CNN's DNS server) to point to. It worked right away w/o having to reboot.

If you open a DOS window, you can always check by "pinging" a location such as www.yahoo.com if you get through, you know that your name is being translated to an IP via a DNS server. Then ping a location using an IP address such as 4.2.2.2 if that works and the first ping didn't, its the DNS server thats the problem. Then use a static DNS, one thats not supplied by the router or ISP. (BTW I never had this problem w/ my NetGear router). Its a jury-rig, but I think it works. I don't know the cause, neither does D-Link <grin> I'll just keep up w/ the driver updates to see if the problem gets solved in the future.
 
#9
Interesting (old threads never die).

I've been having problems with my ancient linksys bfsr11 the last 3-6 months. I think it is my ISP intentionally cutting me off. I only have problems when I'm conencted to a P2P and doing a download.

I can donwload for hours at 150kBps when connected to a "normal" FTP site. 30 minutes on a P2P and I get dumped and can't connect to the web without a router reset.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,962
Messages
673,247
Members
89,017
Latest member
Seggar