Cyclic Redundancy ?????

D

dokkktor

I am getting a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error message whenever I am trying to copy files that I backed up on CD before I installed XP.

And it doesn't happen all the time.
In a list of about 50 files or so it only comes up for about 3-4 files.
The same ones everytime.

I noticed one other person was getting this error when they were installing a game but noone had a solution for him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a CRC check as it is known means the file somehow got corrupted, this could be due to a bad write, a bad CD-r, or I've had it happen more often among Cd-rw's

try cleaning the cd a bit using a machine like disc doctor, if that doesn't work, it was a bad write, sorry man

The problem is that these disks worked fine under windows 98 & ME.

Only when I try to copy the files from the cd to the hard drive in Windows XP do I get this error.

All the files are listed in Windows Explorer. You can see them.
But when you try to copy them,
it starts to copy,
then looks like it is going to work,
then the time to copy 3MB files goes up to 3-4 mins
and then it stalls and omes back with the error.

It will copy about 20-30 files in the list then stall at I particular file.

After I tried it a few more times I got the file to copy, but then the next file wouldn't.

Very confusing...

Since it works in Windows 98 & ME I don't believe it is just a bad burn. (Not saying it isn't, just doesn't seem like one)

Crc failed errors with compressed files

I have the same problem with my windows xp home edition,
any files that are .zip, .rar and I try to extract them about %50 of them come back with a crc failed error message

I had these burned on a cd and tryed them in windows 98, and windows ME - they work perfectly fine with winzip and winrar.

Windows XP is causing these extracted files to come up as corrupted and halts the extraction process. This is happining alot with downloaded compressed files as well. Somebody please help solve this as this is strictly a Windows xp problem, not a dirty, or corrupt cd.

*same problem as dokkktor, no fix?*

Have you mad sure you have all the latest updates for your cd burner from win update and such? it's odd for a cd to come up with a crc error when copying unless there are some major problems or activities going on as the files are being copied.

cd burner updates

Yes I have all the updates,

the problem is not copying the file

crc error occurs when i try to decompress files already on hard drive, multiple crc failed errors only in win xp. I do not have this problem unzipping, unrar, unacing the files in windows 98 or me. there are no crc failed errors, only in windows xp just like the other two people reported. Nobody seems to have an answer for this problem as they stated as well. :rolleyes:

Try disabling XPs built in CD burning software? Maybe it's conflicting with reading or something *guesses*

response

already disabled, still not working. Good idea though but I had tried that one on the internet to speed up roxio.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back