Cybernetic Internet handshake...

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I just caught this on the 6 o'clock news...

Cybernetic Handshake!

London - British and American scientists "shook hands" on Tuesday in a groundbreaking cyber-experiment conducted via the Internet.

In a technological first, two scientists - in London and Boston - picked up a computer-generated cube between them and moved it, each responding to the force the other exerted.

The "phantoms" they use are devices which recreate the sense of touch by sending small impulses at very high frequencies through the Internet, using newly-developed fibre optic cables and high bandwidths for improved conduction.

"The experiment went very well," said Joel Jordan, from the University College of London. "You can actually feel the object being pushed against your hand".

'You can hit each other hard enough to leave little bruises'
Jordan said the secret behind the technology is the speed at which the successive impulses are sent. "In much the same way that the brain interprets still images into moving pictures, the frequencies received by the phantom are similarly integrated to produce the sense of a continuous sensation."

Not only can scientists feel the force being exerted by colleagues across the Atlantic Ocean, they can also feel the texture of the object they are feeling.

"You can feel how rough something is, or how springy the side of the cube is," Jordan said.

"You can also hit each other hard enough to leave little bruises, and there are bigger versions of the equipment we're using which could really cause some damage," Jordan explained.

The implications of the experiment could be vast, with talks of trainee surgeons using the technique perform mock operations. It could also allow people to experience sensory perception in cyberspace. - Reuters

Reporting from somewhere in Britain

Mubbers

"You can also hit each other hard enough to leave little bruises, and there are bigger versions of the equipment we're using which could really cause some damage," Jordan explained.

Now that is very cool!

I would have some fun with that feature...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back