Crysis SP Beta out....sorta

Just downloaded it. i have dual core 6600 with 2 gig ram and 2 geforce 8600. Will it run nice?
Oh, I am on Vista Ultimate x64...

It will run decently I would imagine, probably a mix of medium and low settings... maybe a tad better than that. It really depends on the resolution you want to play at. I have found that Shader Detail, Object Detail and Texture Detail are the three biggest performance altering options, in that order. Changing shader detail from high to medium for me gave over 10 fps back for example.

I just beat the demo, amazing, can't wait to upgrade and buy.

Just downloaded it. i have dual core 6600 with 2 gig ram and 2 geforce 8600. Will it run nice?
Oh, I am on Vista Ultimate x64...

Processor is great but all the new games are extremely video card dependent. Aprox is definitely right.

I think the name of this thread should be changed now

just to Crysis Thread, or something.

Pick up a tortoise. Run at super speed and right click to set the tortise down while running. RACING TURTLE!

Release any animal at a rock underwater. If the angle is right and the animal heads in the proper direction, they will climb the rock, come out of the water, and keep walking into the sky!

This game has some serious problems with the fauna.

Overall, however, the most realistic environments in PC gaming. Very, very believable.

yeah.. hehe

btw... if anyone hasnt, at least for a second set the shader and postprocessing to high.. just to see how it looks... omg its so awesome... i think those are the biggest perf hits, but the visual difference is huge!

textures on high also look pretty neat, but its not as impressive as those two

I have been doing a lot of tweaking, and I have a mix of Very High, High & Medium settings all mixed up in the .cfg files and I have the game looking great and running pretty good as well. Things like physics, post processing and all the stuff on the right can pretty much be set to high or very high without a really noticeable performance difference. I took some of the high and very high settings in post processing and applied them to medium. That way I can have light rarys, but without the heavy performance hit of better HDR that usually comes with a high or very high setting of post processing.

In order to set that stuff to very high though you need to edit your .cfg files, located in "x:..\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups" there are config files for each graphic setting.

There is 4 at the top which represents "Very High" then three sets with corresponding numbers 1 - 3, being low through high respectively. You can comment out the default "high" settings with a preceding ; before each line then copy and paste the settings from the top down into the high (3) area, or to whatever setting you want. Basically you are telling the game to apply "Very High" settings while you have only chosen "high" from the menu. Very High looks different on XP than it does in Vista, due to DX10.

Edit: Also there are two benchmark batch files included with the demo that come in very useful for this type of tweaking. In the ..\Bin32 folder you can find a "Benchmark_CPU.bat" & and "Benchmark_GPU.bat". Let the loops go through atleast three times for each to get a solid number. The first past through will usually be 1 - 3 fps slower than the last, as it caches and loads the textures, props and whatnot on the first loops.

Last edited:
No need to do anything here auto detect and play at full details ...there was one thing I noticed needed to tell it to run on one cpu that made a world of difference right away.

No need to do anything here auto detect and play at full details ...there was one thing I noticed needed to tell it to run on one cpu that made a world of difference right away.

There are a few things that arent really noticeable that could cost 5-10 fps, which isnt much, but with a game like crysis every little bit counts

Well I was rather impressed. I'm walking it on my aging gaming machine (XP2800 and X800XL). It might be a reason to upgrade the hardware finally. QWET and UT both left me unimpressed.

Well, your system is very similar to Zeke_mo's and mine, and the performance is okay when set to all high but with some tweaking it can both look and run better than stock "high" settings. The link is more for people who like to tinker and mess around with the games interworkings. If the default settings work for you, then great.

Yes you might gain a few FPS but it wont look better if you lower settings ...that makes little to no sense ...but to get it to run faster is what everyone will try to do .. which is cool , I was pointing out to people that can see my setup because mine is listed , that this game runs fast and looks great right off the bat , on settings set auto by the game its self , this way people that are thinking about paying money for it and have a setup close to mine, will be able to know that they can run the game and play without any worry. Does not mean that trying to tweak is not cool or for some a must, by all means tweak away to your hearts content.

If it hasn't already happened, there will probably be one tweak (or possibly two) that will be passed around the community being heralded as a HUGE performance boost.

It will be the first suggestion in every performance thread, but will never solve anything but will still have people swearing it does.

Well, in the MP beta there was a tweak that gave a healthy 5 - 7 fps boost for me, but unfortunately it no longer works in the SP demo.

r_ShaderDynamicBranching = 1
r_ShaderStaticBranching = 0

Doing that now, will cause the game to lock up in both DX9 and DX10 when you load a save. There are some cvar settings than can be turned down that help performance but don't effect overall visual quality to much.

Yes you might gain a few FPS but it wont look better if you lower settings...
I never said that... but you did stumble on a point. Actually it can, how you may ask? Well, turn down a setting that you dont care for, such as Mblur, Object Detail or something else. Then use that performance gain to turn up something else. Such as Ambient Occlusion or HDR and light rays, all of which are only available on High settings or higher. AO, HDR & Light Rays looks fantastic.

I'm not sure if it's due to my low system specs for this demo but quite often during gameplay, there seems to be mouse/keyboard/movement lag. I'll stop pressing a movement key or mouse button and the player will keep moving for a bit. This seems to go in spurts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back