CrushFTP/FTP server help

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Warning: This will be a bit lenthy as I have a lot of details to include. :)

First off, does the built-in FTP in OS X work outside of a local network, or is it only intended for the purpose of file-sharing in a private network?

I've been trying to get an FTP server up and running using CrushFTP, which I found to be one of the best reviewed apps on VersionTracker. Setting up an FTP server in Windows was always pretty intuitive for me, so I didn't expect any trouble getting CrushFTP to work. I did everything I thought needed to be done... setup user accounts, specified which folders on my drive to share, set permissions and opened port 21 in OS X's firewall as well as 6000-6015 for passive ports (which I also defined in CrushFTP). There are plenty of advanced settings that I'm not concerned with, so I didn't mess with those. I started the server and let my friends know to give it a try.

The friends of mine who will be uploading to my server most of the time are in Central Asia. When they try to log in, I see it in the activity log on the server. A few times they connected, but couldn't see any of the contents of the directory. I have 3 folders in the directory and a couple of files. When they tried to upload a file, it timed-out on them. Lately when they try to connect though, they never get on and I get a message along the lines of "IP cannot be determined." What's strange to me is that I can log on using CuteFTP on my PC, and it has a different IP (not part of a home network).

I'm pretty much at a loss for what to try next. I started to ditch CrushFTP and maybe try a different server, which is why I'm inquiring about OS X's built-in FTP server. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I don't think it will work and I know it won't have options for protected user accounts, etc.

HELP! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back