Crucial Radeon 8500LE 128Mb

J

jonocainuk

Just installed this gfx card in my gf's PC (p3 733mhz fcpga, ibm netvista mobo, 512mb pc133, sb pci128) and it aint really doing as good as the old gf2mx 32mb. its odd how if i cap the fps to 125, it wont go higher than 85 (which is the Hz of my screen) but when I change detailing on q3 to medium from low, the fps goes up to 125 but frequently jitters to below 100.

I've installed the latest catalyst drivers (3.1) from crucial's website... and its the same as with 2.1 (what i got on cd).

any recommendations anyone?

Originally posted by jonocainuk
Just installed this gfx card in my gf's PC (p3 733mhz fcpga, ibm netvista mobo, 512mb pc133, sb pci128) and it aint really doing as good as the old gf2mx 32mb. its odd how if i cap the fps to 125, it wont go higher than 85 (which is the Hz of my screen) but when I change detailing on q3 to medium from low, the fps goes up to 125 but frequently jitters to below 100.

I've installed the latest catalyst drivers (3.1) from crucial's website... and its the same as with 2.1 (what i got on cd).

any recommendations anyone?

you have dx9 installed?

the cat 3.1's go with dx9 :)

if you are using dx8-ish use cat 2.5's

many reasons why there may be a cap... post what you did when you installed... what you removed/installed in terms of software... or whatever...

(gf's comp had my old username autologged in for some reason :huh: )

I uninstalled all nvidia stuff and rebooted. winxp re-installed it with MS drivers, I went to Dev. Mgr and uninstalled the device and turned the PC off.

switched 2mx for radeon 8500le

plugged everythin in and turned on
installed drivers off cd (instructions said to install the cd, then check for new drivers and install them if there are any newer). so i installed v2.1

loaded q3 (cuz i was itchin to see how much better it ran... i was a bit disallusioned tbh)

found 3.1 on crucial's website so i d/led them. found i had to uninstall the old stuff so i did and rebooted when done.
pc rebooted and i installed the new drivers and rebooted again

got back to windows and loaded q3 to test (still not really happy... thinking ive done something wrong or perhaps the pc itself is sucky sucky for the gfx card lol)

i dont have dx9 installed, but i'll d/l now and install

edit: omg... dx9 is 31mb??!!

the dx version should not matter much.. am just saying the new cat's are more dx9 oriented... :)

right... okidoki... so what bout the installation of drivers? did i do it right? :p

I woulda removed all drivers... turned off pc and switched cards and then rebooted to let microsoft detect the card...

actually I woulda formatted :)

btw yah... dx9 is quite large...

Originally posted by jonocainuk
its odd how if i cap the fps to 125, it wont go higher than 85 (which is the Hz of my screen) but when I change detailing on q3 to medium from low, the fps goes up to 125 but frequently jitters to below 100.
try turning vsync off...? this will keep the card from sending a single frame out with each refresh of the screen.. instead, it will send the frames out as fast as it can and you will get a more accurate fsp measurement.

but once you're done benchmarking/troubleshooting, turn vsync back on for smoother gameplay.

that was one of the first things i did (turning vsync off) :)

i changed the lighting from "vertex" to "lightmap" and all of a sudden it runs awesome... really smooth and tends not to drop below 76fps (my preferred fps cap - i took the cap off to test it tho)

first time ive ever seen a gfx card that runs BETTER at higher quality than at lower quality :eek:

also... thinking on...

would the psu have any effect on fps?

i dont know what psu she has in her comp... i think its a bit of a s**t one... if its not a 300w already, would a 300w psu make an improvement?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back