CRT Monitor buzzing!

w00kiec00kie

OSNN Addict
I dont know if it's just me, but I havnt got another CRT monitor to compare with. I have the Sony Trinitron (not oem! from freaking '99!! :D ) umm what model is it :confused: hmd-v200 by windows... er.. it's a 17 inch...
well anyhow, the point is like, does all CRT monitors "buzz?" my monitor makes some mid-high pitched noise that sounds like mild fan noise or something... (like a mild hummmmmmm, but electric... :mad: )

Does anyone know the cause / fix?? :confused:

1) you could be hearing the actual electron gun moving
2) CRT's produce a tone at ~18.5kHz

or you have your speakers to close to the monitor and something isnt sheilded correctly, if my cell phone goes off, mine will do that same thing. put aluminum foil around the monitor, if it goes away, the speakers are most likely causing it, also running the audio cables too close to the monitor cable will cause it too. However, i havent had a problem with it in a long time. otherwise, i am all out of guesses, maybe the monitor is just starting to go bad.

Hm, it DOES have the speakers built into the monitor... maybe it's bad? (even though I'm not using those speakers...)
It's really not that annoying, but it's just something I hear constantly and isnt exactly something I want to hear if I can get rid of :p

maybe the monitor is about to go or somethin?
How old is it?

I had an old IBM 17" CRT that drove me up the wall with the buzzing, I solved the problem by putting my foot through it and going out and buying a new LCD.

It was about 7 years old when it started buzzing, that was back in 2002.

See if you can get a recording of the buzzing and then open up the wav in a wav editor. If there's a tone at ~18.5khz, there's nothing you can do about it.

As for audio cables, make sure you use shielded or twisted cable.

If it's caused by the speakers (doubt it), if you can remove them, that's good. you can try wrapping the rears of them in copper and see if that helps.

At work we got Eizo TFT monitors with built in speakers and if you set them at maximum volume (on the monitor, not in Windows!), they produce a humming noise. Mayeb you could try lowering the volume from your speakers.

I know for a fact that this monitor has been buzzing sinc ethe beginningn of the last school year... so I guess it may not be dying on me :p I'll try to record the sound and see if there's a sound at 18.5khz..

Thanks for your replies...
(remove speakers? open up my monitor? ugg? :mad: )

18.5kHz is pretty high up (16Hz - 20kHz audiable with perfect hearing), most people won't even hear that. I had a monitor that would beep continously with a very high pitch sometimes on certain refresh rates (85Hz, later 75Hz and whatever is in DOS). That could have been 18,5kHz i guess. But buzzing sounds more like the speakers (50Hz is a common interference tone (if that's what you 110V guys have as well)) or the high voltage area to me.

I recorded the sound with "windows recorder" program but I have no idea how to tell what pitch it's making...
here's the file!

sound

Thanks for your help again :D

Zedric said:
18.5kHz is pretty high up (16Hz - 20kHz audiable with perfect hearing), most people won't even hear that. I had a monitor that would beep continously with a very high pitch sometimes on certain refresh rates (85Hz, later 75Hz and whatever is in DOS). That could have been 18,5kHz i guess. But buzzing sounds more like the speakers (50Hz is a common interference tone (if that's what you 110V guys have as well)) or the high voltage area to me.

I know I can hear 18.5 kHz. My roommate has a tendency to watch a dvd, then turn the dvd player off but not the tv so it's just a black screen. I get within 20 feet of it and I can hear it and it's very annoying.

Also, over here in the states, we have 60Hz line hum. And it's harder to filter now since the power companies are no longer required to "lock" the signal at 60Hz. There is some leeway either way (4Hz, I think).

w00kiec00kie said:
I recorded the sound with "windows recorder" program but I have no idea how to tell what pitch it's making...
here's the file!

sound

Thanks for your help again :D

Well, that's definitely not 18.5kHz hum. There's a serious bump in that signal at 65-95Hz. If you have one, try plugging it into a power conditioner. If not, if you have a UPS, unplug the ups from the wall and see if the monitor still produces this sound. It *could* be 60Hz hum. It might also just be the electron beam being out alignment. There's not much you can do about that. Also, have you degaussed the monitor?

dreamliner77 said:
Also, over here in the states, we have 60Hz line hum. And it's harder to filter now since the power companies are no longer required to "lock" the signal at 60Hz. There is some leeway either way (4Hz, I think).
Allright, I was a little unsure about that. But that tone sounds alot like 60 Hz to me (without doing any type of scientific measurement).

w00kiec00kie said:
I dont know if it's just me, but I havnt got another CRT monitor to compare with.

Maybe Aliens are trying to contact you!

Just played the .wav file also, I thought my speakers were about to explode.

That would drive me nuts.

Can you hear the sound with the speakers off, w00kiec00kie?

Yup, that should go on one of those bass test cd's they use for car stereo competitions...

A line filter should help clean you up. Most UPS's should be enough.

That's power line noise and refered to as "humm" not buzz. You may have a blown electrolytic capacitor. Or it could just be an unshielded or broken shield in your audio wiring.

Are you positive the noise is from the monitor? You usually only get that from speakers and audio equipment.

If it is from the monitor you should not be hearing the humm since you aren't using the speakers in it. Make sure you have no audio cables going into or near the monitor. hat includes a microphone, especially the one built into the monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back