CRT Monitor buzzing!

it's dust!!!!! The dust builds up on the parts, aka it needs a dam good clean, but is very hard to do your self with compressed air :0 specially likely as you have has it since '99 ;)

well, I'm not using the speakers (not even connected) in favor of my inspire 5100 :D :D
oh and I've tried different power outlets (dorm / apt now) and it's still the same..
and I'm pretty sure it is coming fromt he monitor because when I turn it off, it is silent in my room... :D
oh and.. uhh, what's a power conditioner?? power regulator sort of thing? :confused:

maybe even when I dont use my speakers, the monitor still turns it on when I turn on the monitor and creates that sound... :confused: I'm going to try to find a way to disable the speaker on the monitor...

Thanks for the help guys :D

If you have some cheap stereo plugs available (or take a trip to radio schlock). Short all the wires together on the plug and plug that into the monitor audio input jacks. Might help if it's just noise pick up getting in.

If that fails you probably have amplified speakers with a bad electrolytic cap in the power supply. Thats a safety issue (fire hazard and the leaked electrolyte can damage the rest of the monitor) and the failed part should be replaced or the entire circuit removed. The easy fix for the noise is to open the monitor case and cut the wires off the speakers. The failed capacitor should show yellowish brown electrolyte leaking out of the top or bottom. With any luck the audio module is seperate from the monitor and can be isolated by cutting or disconnecting the power wires to it.

SAFETY - there are very high voltages inside a monitor. Unplug the monitor, turn it on and let it sit for an half an hour before sticking hands inside.

The leaking electrolyte can cause chemical burns, is corrosive and toxic. Clean it up using swabs and isopropyl alchohol. Do not leave the used swabs lying around where pets or children can get at them (spouses are ok depending on how long you have been together and if the spouse makes more money than you do).

I would buy one of those powerline cleaner things if they werent so expensive!!
On another note, I got a 21'' Dell monitor that does not hum at all on the same surge protector... so maybe it's just the speakers after all???

oh yeah, and I tried to short the speakers, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly as it didnt work. So what I did was to get a headphone splitter thing, plug itself back into one of the splitted cable, and the other split cable into the monitor's speaker hookup....

Thanks for your help guys! if I find any powerline cleaners for cheaper, I'll give that a go.
(I'm not about to open my monitor and cut off speakers since it might be used again sometime :/ )

Thanks again :)

get a ups backup, those are also function as power conditioners, as for disabling your monitor speakers, hit the menu button on the monitor, it will bring up a display and allow you to shut em off or just turn the volume all the way down.

not for 50 bux or less, you spend money for good things, you spend even more for better.

Hm.. i found something and I'm confused.
Filters EMI/RFI noise up to xx dB reduction
is that what I need?? Some belkin surge protectors that cost less than 10 bucks make those claims.. :confused:

It's probably not the incoming power. Something crapped out inside the monitor. Save oyur money and keep the plugs in the input jacks.

w00kiec00kie said:
Hm.. i found something and I'm confused.
Filters EMI/RFI noise up to xx dB reduction
is that what I need?? Some belkin surge protectors that cost less than 10 bucks make those claims.. :confused:

See the post above yours.

Does that sig say that your ATI 9800se died from a bad Flash? hint, claric response,hidden info more to come. Please clarify "over". Could this be it. Sounds like audio probs to me.
frogg_mann

frogg_mann said:
hint, claric response,hidden info more to come. Please clarify "over". Could this be it. Sounds like audio probs to me.
frogg_mann

huh? oh, and it's probably not "audio" problem as in "onboard audio" as far as the monitor buzzing goes (or humming) since the speakers are not connected to anything.

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back