Crossover network xp/vista

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I set up a crossover network between two pc's on vista and one xp. They couldn't see each other, but i could ping the ip without issue. I need to transfer files and such, i tried u sing flashfxp, but nothing, even IE wont connect..any ideas?

Also file sharing and all is enabled..is there a user name or password i need?

Are these two computers on the same subnet and whatnot? Is there a firewall involved that needs to be disabled? Is it a workgroup or domain?

I disabled the windows firewall on both pc's. I set up a work group,both pc's are the same

Are you logged in as the local administrator? If you navigate to \\computer\C$ what happens?

I had this problem too for weeks until I found the (my) solution:

- make sure both pc's are in the same workgroup
- make sure the firewall you use allows traffic between both pc's (enter their (fixed) ip adresses in the trusted zone in the firewall software ON BOTH PC's)
- make sure you have an account with the same name and password on both computers
- make sure you have at least one drive or map shared on both pc's
- then, in VISTA go to my computer
- right click in this window and select "add network location"
- you can now enter the network or internet address of the shared drive/map using the wizard that started after the previous step and this share shows up in "my computer".

I still do not see the XP pc in My Networkplaces, but at least I can transfer files to the shared drive on the XP machine

I see the VISTA pc in "my networkplaces" on the XP machine. Have't figured out yet why I only see the VISTA pc but I don't care anymore...

(maybe I have some translations wrong, I use the Dutch version of VISTA business and the Dutch version of XP Pro SP2...)

Last edited:
Workgroup issue isn't a problem in xp and vista in my experience.

What you need to do is:

Enable Network Discovery on VISTA
Enable folder sharing (with/without password) on VISTA
Enable File Sharing on XP

With the above in place, if you still can't see either machine in 'My Network Places' then try entering " \\192.168.0.x " into the address bar in windows explorer. i.e. your ip for the destination machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back