cross over cable slows internet

dubstar

format c:
im connected through an ethernet adsl modem. when my buddy connects his laptop to my 2nd ethernet port using a crossover cable, the files transfer quickly, but the internet is sooo slowwww!

should i just buy a router? i wouldnt really like to solve this without opening my wallet too much.

thanks.

It's better to use a router unless your modem has a USB plug as well.
If it's only going to be used occasionally, then I don't see the point in splashing out on something like that.

so if i connect my modem through usb (which it has), and then use 1 of my 2 ethernet ports with a crossover cable, the internet speed will increase for the 'leech' pc?

no, dont use cross over cable. that's for pc to pc use only.
use the normal cat5 patch cable if you're connecting a pc to a network device/modem.

PC1 - Modem (usb), PC1 - PC2 (crossover) = increased internet speed for PC2

PC1 - Modem (ethernet), PC1 - PC2 (crossover) = slower internet speed for PC2

... thats what im picking up from you post.

routers are gettin cheap inprice these days, getting one would be the better way to go. No config on your comp side. Besides USB isnt made for networking, ethernet is, is may be faster too on your downloads (no assurances).

Can you do:

PC1 - Modem (USB)
PC2 - Modem (cat5 cable (not cross-over cable))

uh, form I understand is you want to connect the modem to one comp thru usb, and the other to the modem via cat5. I dont think this will work. The modem will prob only accept one at a time.

If your friend uses ur connection alot why not go halves on a router?

Look for sales on a router. They are running $20 bucks (Fryes, Office Depot, Office Max) now for a plain jane ethernet only one.

Plan B check out ebay. The old ones should be damn near free.

yeah, the modem i have doesnt let you use 2 connections through it. i'll check out Frys or Office Max... thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back