Creative Labs owes you $62

L

Lee

SINGAPOREAN soundcard maker, Creative Labs, has agreed to settle a class action lawsuit related to misleading marketing of its Audigy and Extigy range. Actually, it appears this settlement was agreed in principle at the end of last year, but few potential claimants yet know about it.

Creative claimed that the products in question could handle 24-bit audio at 96Khz – indeed this was stated on the product boxes in bold letters, and in all advertising. But complaints filed in 2003 pointed out that this was only true in a very limited set of circumstances, and pretty much all of the audio passing through the cards would actually be processed at lower quality.

The difference probably wouldn't concern the average gamer or casual MP3 enthusiast, but many of those planning to use the Creative cards for professional-quality audio were outraged by the labelling. Owners of all of the original Audigy series are included in the proposed settlement. This includes the Audigy ES, Audigy Platinum, Audigy Platinum eX, Audigy Gamer, Audigy MP3+ and also the original Extigy external USB sound module.

Read More You Knowledge Junkies!

hmm my bad i have SOUND BLASTER|AUDIGY 2 PCI SB0244 % never mind. (brain fart)

I have the Audigy Gamer card, and have been rather unhappy with its performance since I got it. I may have to look into this.

Yharn said:
I have the Audigy Gamer card, and have been rather unhappy with its performance since I got it. I may have to look into this.

I would take it back and demand a full refund and make sure you show them the article from source or if it's posted also on creative's website.

Lee said:
You better go claim whats owed. :)
I believe to get any of that $ though you would probably have had been part of the class action lawsuit.

Personally, I wouldn't use any of Creative cards for pro-audio, there are alot of better, more dedicated cards out there. Your ear won't really be able to tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit, it only comes in useful when editing audio, applying effects etc.

Hmm I was tempted to dig out my old Soundblaster Live! and use it to get a nice discount on an Audigy 4, but there is nothing great over the Audigy 2 to make it worth it.

I think I would prefer a proper 64 bit driver suite. Anyone remember Creative, Windows XP and Liveware 3.0 ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back