Creative Dxr3 and WMP8 DVD Playback...

N

n715dp

I searched the forums and came up with nothing on this one so here goes...

I have a Creative Dxr3 DVD Decoder and I am using the Hollywood Plus drivers for it.

I downloaded and installed the DVD Pak for WMP and I am able to play DVD's ok with it but there is something that is bothering me. In the options for Video, there is a radio button for "Preferred Decoder." The options are greyed out and "Software" is selected. I look at task manager and it shows 50% - 75% CPU usage for WMP. Using the software from the Hollywood Plus site, the player uses 10% CPU... so it looks to me like WMP is not using my decoder card... anyone know a way around this?

Basically the system decides on the default filters, having more than one installed will confuse the system.
My best suggestion is to remove all the software dvd players you have on yout system, this includes the addon packs... then try playing a DVD - if it works then you still have dvd filters/codecs installed.. check to see if your system is using is using the H+, if it isn't then you still have DVD filters installed and will have to remove them manually.

thanks EP... I will give that a try... any idea how I would go about removing the software filters?

There may be other methods, but you can get Zoom Player from http://www.inmatrix.com and start playing a dvd, right click on the screen and go to filter properies.
You should then see which filters are installed.
Also newer version of Zoom Player have cool filter management, so you can manually register the audio / video filters that you want to, as some filters are better than others!!

well, I tried unregistering all the filters - there were a bunch and then installing the DVD pak for WMP and it still used software...

I will continue to tinker with it.

Reinstalling the DVD pack will reinstall either the windvd / powerdvd filters.

I noticed that, but without the DVD pak, WMP doesn't play DVD's... this is annoying :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

ok...

if I rip a VOB file from a DVD - WMP shows:

CyberLink Audio Decoder

and

CyberLink Video/SP Decoder

something else I just noticed... there were two .msi files in the rar I downloaded here...

DVD_Pack.msi

and

DVD_Pack_PDVD.msi

either one seems to yield the same results.

Pretty sure when I had a look at this, the PDVD one was PowerDVD and the other was WinDVD.

If your WMP can play VOB files then there are still filters ;)
I think you may need to install WMA drivers for your H+ to use it with WMP- Notsure tho.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back