Creating a WAN

D

Dovere

is there anyone who can help me do the following:

I have a friend who has a country house taht wants to be able to use their computer in the city with their computer at home (ie - creating a WAN) he wants to be able to access the files on the computer in the country while on his computer in the city.

Can this be done?

Thanks

RND

what kind of connection do they have, both at home and the country place and yes it should be able to be done. Also what OS are they running at both places.

Yes... you need to know the ip of the computer you are going to connect to... and then you can you remote desktop connection. make sure the machine or both machines will allow remote connections... (Start > Control Panel > System >Remote tab check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer) Also you will have to have a user account on the system that has a password. now when you go to connect all you have to do is click start > all programs > accessories > communications > click remote desktop connection, you will then be prompted for an address to connect to, this is where you will put the ip in. click connect and you should show you the log in box... type username and password and thats it. now all this becomes a little more complicated if you are running any kind of firewall. give it a shot and let us know.

hey, thanks for that, but when i do ipconfig the only ip address im getting is the basic 192.168 ect... what am i doing wrong?

sounds like you are behind a router... log into your router and from there depending on what kind of router you have you should be able to find out what your ip is. also there might be an issue with forwarding a port to a specific machine on you lan.

Thought there is no Remote Desktop in XP Home Edition.

ok i am behind a router, its a linksys, but i dont think there is a pw set up, but when it promps me for one it wont let me in...suggestions?

default username and password are admin and admin ... if this doesnt work you should see a reset button on the face of the router. take a pen and hold it there... you will see ared light come on and wait till it goes out that will reset it to factory defaults. then try the admin/admin again and you should get in. after you do that CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD ... and then look on the status page to find your ip... good luck

ok so i got in, thanks...now if i just want to access one of the computers on the lan, do i take the specific ip of that comp?

ok after that question, when i go to remote desktop thing it asks me for
Computer
User Name
Password
Domain

what values do i put in for each?

down at the bottom you should see 'Options <<' click that and that window will become smaller... Now all you'll see is 'Computer' and a empty box... in there you will need to put in the ip of the computer you want to connect to, then click 'Connect'. Then it will shown you a screen for a username and a password of the remote computer you want to connect too. Fill these out and you should be able to get in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back