Creating a backup domain controller

navinkumar123

OSNN One Post Wonder
Helo everyone
this is navin
i just have a question for you....plz if u could solve it .....

i currently have a primary domain controller on my windows NT 4.0 server.
how can i add a back up domain controller on the server. does it affect my PDC??.
One more thing is i want to migrate this Windows NT 4.0 to windows server 2003 in another server, so how can i create roaming profiles for the users.
Actually how can i take the backup of all the system files.

please reply me back as soon as possible
thanku very much
navin

When you do "dcpromo" you will be asked if this server is your only domain controller. Just say no.

I wouldn't do an upgrade from NT4 to 2003. I did this once and had major issues. Start fresh.

?
It has been a long time, but as I recall, dcpromo is an active directory tool and is not available in NT4.

In order to build a BDC in an NT4 domain, I beleive you need to specifiy it during the build (it asks you at some point during the NT4 install if you are installing a member server or domain controller). If you select domain controller, it asks if you are joining an existing domain (ie: create BDC) or creating a new one (ie: create a PDC).

i currently have a primary domain controller on my windows NT 4.0 server.
how can i add a back up domain controller on the server. does it affect my PDC??.
You make it should like you want to add a BDC on the same server as your primary.. this is not possible - they need to be seperate machines.

Adding a Backup DC should not affect your PDC in an NT4 domain environment. NT4 domains are single masters - all changes are all done on the PDC.

One more thing is i want to migrate this Windows NT 4.0 to windows server 2003 in another server, so how can i create roaming profiles for the users.
What does roaming profiles have to do with NT4 to Active directory migration?

Actually how can i take the backup of all the system files.
?! are you not backing up your systems now?! Or are you asking how to migrate users to windows server 2003?

fitz, you are correct. dcpromo is for W2K Server and up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back