CRC errors and now partition won't format ?

Rick O'Shea

OSNN Newbie
I was having some Cyclic Redundancy Errors on some of my files on one of my partitions. So I decided to move all the good files and delete the dodgy files by formatting the partition. I deleted the partition then remade it, and then set about formatting it. It gets to 19% formatted and stops dead :eek:

I am on XP Pro and the cyclic redundancy errors were on ordinary files not rar'ed/zipped files.

Rick O'Shea

OSNN Newbie
Well, some 8 hours later (I left it formatting overnight) and it has eventually reached 34% formatted. It's only a 43GB NTFS partition so there is definately something wrong. I will try the manufacturers testing tool if I can find it, it's Western Digital.

L

Lee

Rick O'Shea said:
Well, some 8 hours later (I left it formatting overnight) and it has eventually reached 34% formatted. It's only a 43GB NTFS partition so there is definately something wrong. I will try the manufacturers testing tool if I can find it, it's Western Digital.

Give me a PM I might have a solution.

Rick O'Shea

OSNN Newbie
That proggy you pointed me too failed at the first obsticle, i.e. my A: drive, simply because I don't have one :O I tried Partition Magic and after roughly 13 hours with XP failing to get beyond 34%, PM did it in less than 5 seconds. PM also showed me two other partitions with errors that it unfortunately couldn't fix :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee