Crash in Toronto Airport

drz01

Weekend DJ
An Air France plane on fire at Pearson Airport. Will let you know more after i find out...

Passenger jet on fire at Toronto airport
Last Updated Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:00:12 EDT
CBC News
An Air France jet with as many as 200 people aboard has skidded off a runway while landing at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, bursting into flames and sending thick black smoke pouring into the air.

There is no word on the condition of the passengers and crew members on board the A340, with the plane still burning an hour after the 3:50 p.m. crash.

The Air France jet burst into flames after skidding off a runway at Toronto's Pearson Airport Tuesday.
The jet has a capacity of about 200 people.

The airplane was trying to land in bad weather when it skidded off the runway just metres from one of Toronto's busiest roads, Highway 401.

"There was quite a downpour. The visibility was really bad, with lots of lightning," said John Finday, a CBC News journalist who was at the airport at the time of the accident.

The jet crashed through barriers and ended up in a small ravine at the far west end of the airport, the fuselage tipped down and the aircraft's tail in the air.

"An Air France plane landing on runway 2-4 went off the end of the runway in the area of Convair Drive and the 401 area in Mississauga," Peel police Sgt. Glyn Griffiths said at about 4:30 p.m.

Rescue crews trying to extinguish the flames.
He said the number and extent of injuries was still unknown.

The incident happened as most operations at the airport were grounded because of the severe thunderstorms that had been reported in the area.

Rescue crews are on the scene.

:cry:

Sad to see something like this, but even sader because you KNOW it only made [big] news because they thought terrorism first.

Update...

Looks like everyone including pilots survived! Thank God

Very good to see everyone made it out ok. With such nasty sounding weather I'm surprised they weren't re-routed elsewhere.

the sky was black.
unbelievable that everyone made it out alive.

:)
a pat on the back for the rescue personnel

A big pat on the back to the flight crew (Pilot, Co-Pilot, Nav and such), they landed the damn thing in the first place.

one thing for sure is that there damm lucky that they didnt land on the 401, at 3:50 on the 401 it would have been worse than losing everyone on the plane its self. i would have to comend the pilot on that one.

Was watching it on TV. Great to hear that everyone came out safely.

the_music_man said:
saw it on tv as well. so was it due to weather conditions or pilots fault??
Weather, sounds like a case of the plane perhaps hydroplaning or just slidding in the intense rain.

I have also heard that a crash happened on the same runway, number 24L, back in June 1978. I don't know the exact details, but the plane had skidded off the same runway and onto the same ravine. :s

canadian_divx said:
one thing for sure is that there damm lucky that they didnt land on the 401, at 3:50 on the 401 it would have been worse than losing everyone on the plane its self. i would have to comend the pilot on that one.

That's exactly what the ravine is for. To prevent that scenario.

Cool everybody got out OK.

I was in Toronto when it happened, my sister, friend and cousin were at the Backstreet Boy concert and my dad and I were cruising through electronic stores.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back