Crash course in UNIX

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Anyone recommend one? Something online is preferrable.

im intrested too read through unix for dummys (kinda) but id love something a bit... better. i have a unix machine id like to play with.

the best thing u could do is try a distro out, play around with it, and depending on which one u choose go to their forums, always alot of help and tuts on those

but for someone who doesent have a unix box? i was under the impression that unix was kinda like macs and hardware specific

not sure what you mean, why do you want to read up on it.

do you want to start using linux, or want to know more about mac, etc etc??

You can read all the books you want, but until you setup a machine and break it a few times, you don't really get a feel for it.

There are plenty of different unix boxes and yes some are hardware dependent e.g. SPARC, but Free/Net/OpenBSD are all unices and run on x86-class [as well as many other] processors. Linux is unix-like, but not really unix, you wont learn anything from Ubuntu. Personally I love FreeBSD as far as unix goes.

i would disagree with you, i think if your starting off Ubuntu is great, you do learn alot from it, u need too, and then u can move on from there

Ubuntu doesn't let you do anything. If you actually want to learn linux, start with something that lets you learn, e.g. Slackware or Gentoo. If you want to learn unix, use FreeBSD. They are all usable without any experience as long as you are willing to use google and have some patience.

i have never used any of those other distros, so I wouldn't really know, but I find that ubuntu makes some things easier to use, so that way you can figure it out and learn from it.... but yea

any distro you will learn from, there are forums to help you out on each one

I need to learn UNIX (or at least have a higher level understanding of it) for a training session in StillSecure at headquarters at the end of next month. Can I learn it in 2 weeks or am I screwed?

I donno if your screwed, but I'd get started....

Download FreeBSD and install it, maintain it, and run with it. It is what this site is hosted on!

Yeah, what X-Istence said!

We run SCO Unix on all kinds of x86 machines, from paperweights like Pentium 75's running VERY old versions of Xenix (google that one!) to modern P4 3Ghz+ machines running Unixware (a Linux-like environment, but still a Unix System V derivative at heart).

Two weeks is short, but you can at least get a working knowledge in that timeframe. Good luck!

SCO? You should be SHOT!

j79zlr said:
SCO? You should be SHOT!
LOL! They've been using SCO since way before my time there and way before SCO was taboo! :laugh:

I am downloading freebsd right now

forgive my ignorance, but isn't freebsd Linux?

No, FreeBSD is unix, well atleast a derivitive of it. Bell labs owns the unix copyright

FreeBSD® is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible (including Pentium® and Athlon™), amd64 compatible (including Opteron™, Athlon 64, and EM64T), UltraSPARC®, IA-64, PC-98 and ARM architectures. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/930303.ruling.txt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back